Remington 1894 SxS

crankshaft

Inactive
My friend asked me to restock his dad's old SxS that had the stock damage repaired with a bolt thru the side behind the action, which I believe is a common issue repair with this model.
My question is, did the stock crack from a bad design, or too heavy loads, or what.
In restocking, does this area need to be beefed up some way? BTW, I originally told him it is better to try to restore, but the stock is too far gone.
I have built 20 or so muzzleloaders but a SxS in a new one for me.

thanks,

the butt stock shrinks and loosens and firing it will in time split the butt stock, or it gets oil rot from oiling heavy and sitting up right and the oil drains into the wood. the rem 1894-1900 series do not have a tru butt stock bolt and the stock screw that tightens the stock is under the trigger guard and the trigger guard must be moved to reach it. if you just tighten the trigger guard screw you do not tighten the right screw. eastbank.

sorry wrong double barrel, i just took my rem 1900 double barrel out and there are two screws in the trigger guard, the one to the rear of the grip is a wood screw and just helps hold the trigger in and the one close to the trigger guard bow is a machine screw and screws into the upper tang tightening the stock. eastbank.

SxS

thanks again. 1894/1900

found out I have the 1900 not the 1894, which had only one TG hole, the 1900 has 2. One of the few changes.

Back