Remington 1889 value?

Alex Johnson

I was, once again, haunting the local gunshop and found an 1889 Remington in their rack at reduced price. The wood is in excellent condition with most of the original finish and the checkering is sharp. The bores are close to mint, the action lockup is tight, markings are clear. Their is no casehardening finish remaining on the frame, but it is blemish free, save for one small scratch at the bottom across one of the triggerplate screws. The screws, however, have buggered heads in this location. The barrels have about 50% finish remaining with the damascus pattern well pronounced.

In the last year or so I have become interested in the older damascus shotguns and have been buying them when I could find them at good prices and in good condition. This Remington is sitting at $249 and I'm thinking about taking it, but wanted to run it across those more knowledgeable than I on this board. Thanks for any info.

Alex, my guess is the Remington Model 1889 you're looking at is a Grade 3, if it has damascus barrels & no engraving, chambered in 12 gauge. At 50% condition it could be worth about $650. A price of $249 would be appropriate if it were only in about 10% condition. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical

Back