Remington 1858 NMA Front Sight Question

Rookie21

Does anyone know if the either the Uberti or the Pietta Remington 1858 New Model Army (44 Cal.) has a dovetailed front sight or is it a pressed/threaded/soldered front sight? I have seen some places on line that sell aftermarket front sights at different heights that dovetail in. I'd like to know if the Uberti or Pietta have a dovetail front sight.

I checked Uberti's website and the image's of their revolvers clearly show a dovetail in the front sight. Still wondering about Pietta.

Uberti is dovetailed, Pietta is not. You can have a dovetail sight put on a pietta with little effort or cost.

The Beals and early NMA's had a dovetailed cone front sight. The later ones had a pinched sight that was screwed in. So in that respect Pietta is closer than Uberti for originality

Rookie

There is also the "Target" model 1858 Pietta that has the front sight in a channel that runs inline with the barrel and is secured with a screw. But that is not a dovetail.

Last edited:
I have the Pietta Target Model! It's a wonderful shooter. It's been modified some for the NMLRA Friendship line. I won the 2015 NMLRA National Revolver Championship Agg with it.

I'm more interested in the traditional reproduction models so thank you for the information. You guys know your stuff!

I'm not looking to purchase an "accurate" or "historical" reproduction I'm just wanting a model that specifically has a dovetail front sight. I plan to use one in matches where a reproduction / original is needed and custom guns aren't allowed. A dovetail front sight would allow me to purchase aftermarket replacement front sights at different heights so I can get one for my hold and have the gun zero'd elevation and windage. SO it sounds like Uberti is what I'm looking for.

Back