Remington 115 gr htp vs umc 115 gr jhp

smokepole14

After looking these two rounds over to me they looked like the same bullet. After talking to Remington they confirmed that the high terminal performance “htp” is the same bullet as the green/white box umc jhp. This may have already been posted here I don’t know just thought I would share. I know in my area the umc comes in 100 rounds for 32 dollars. That’s cheaper than the htp in 50 round boxes for 23 dollars.

"HTP vs UMC is purely in the marketing. And the cost of the pretty HTP box."

When my dad worked for a dog food producer, he said the container & graphics cost more than the food in the box. This was before Costco and Sam's sized bags.

maybe not

Some higher priced SD ammo does indeed receive special treatment that warrants the increased cost. Nickel over brass cases for one example.

But the real difference may be the powder charge. High end SD ammo sometimes has the powder charge treated with a "flash suppressant" to reduce muzzle flash. This is occasionally apparent when firing "pretty box" ammo and "plain box" ammo in night or reduced light.

Real world example (but not 9mm/UMC/Rem): It was common practice to shoot W-W .45acp 230 gr ball white box in training and (somewhat against policy) in qualifications. In reduced light, the muzzle flash from white box was noticably worse. Back in the .357 days, there were certain 125 gr JHP loads that were much worse, with the difference even more apparent.

"...the container & graphics cost more..." Yep. If you look at the difference between 'No Name' brand stuff and brand name stuff, it's the packaging.

Back