Remington 1100

hawkeye10

I have been looking for a 1100 with screw in chokes in very nice condition. I want it to shoot trap and skeet just for fun. As many 1100's as they have made it's hard to find one in good condition for a fair price. It seems if I find one I like they are very over priced. The rest of them have the stock all scratched up, rust and freckling on the stock. I have seen a lot of them with chips of wood out of the stock. Do a lot of people just not take care of their shot guns? Rant over with so I will keep looking. Don

If the ones in good condition are selling at their advertised price point, then they are not overpriced, especially for the older Wingmaster and 1100s. Many feel they were better built than the stuff made recently and so their used prices are climbing

There are quite a few very nice used ones around, but you have to be willing to pay for them. The age old you get what you pay for is still quite true.

Just because it is showing signs of wear, its not always a bad thing. It means somebody relied on it and used it. If you saw mine, you would think that its 30 years old from all the wear. My dad gave me mine in 1994 brand new as a birthday gift that i'm willing to bet spent well over 180 days+ in the woods yearly. So yea, its been beaten, dropped, scratched, had a little corrosion, rained, laid in snow and who knows what else. But it still functions 99% of the time (found out it hates Federal Buckshot). I would rather spend more for the older versions than buy a new one for 100 bucks less.

My 50 year old 1100 was my only shotgun for 17 years, was a skeet league gun for a while, and chased a lot of ducks and everything else. It was dunked a few times, but I never had to beat any snakes off, or paddle the boat with it. I did have to refinish the stock before I realized resting the butt in a wet boat bottom for long periods would do harm. You have to look close at the bluing to see it is worn. Some people just naturally take care of things differently than others. I buy a gun in part for the way it looks, and since I like the look I try to maintain it. I didn't beat my wife for the same reason. :eek:

Probably the best place to find a nice one would be at a shotgun club.
Folks who use them only for the games usually take much better care of them than folks who take them to the field.
Most shotgun clubs have billboards for listing guns wanted and for sale.

I have had real good success on GunBroker, GunsAmerica, and Auction Arms. Just call up and talk to the guy selling it with your questions on paper in front of you. If you don't like anything about the conversation, just say thanks but no thanks. I must have bought 20+ guns that way. If anything, they were all as good as described, or better. There is no way you can see as many guns in person as they have online, especially if you are looking for a particular model.

I agree with Virginian-in-LA 100%. When I have a certain gun on my mind that I want, I always end up getting it on gunbroker, etc. It's better than even going to really big gun shows and looking for a specific model.

I'll add a word about the 1100 in general. The 1100 (and also the 870 and the 11-87 nowadays) has a very long and storied tradition with the life-long hunters and farmers in this country. It's just simply right up there with mom and apple pie in a lot of peoples' eyes. I've carried an 1100 for decades. We all realize that there are probably more streamlined, and certainly lighter, guns out there, but it's just hard to buck tradition at this point for a lot of us. :) You won't go wrong with that old work horse. My dad bought a 12 gauge 1100 with a full choke, vent rib barrel back in the 70's. It has never failed.

Back