Remington 1100 Issues

I'm trying to help out my hunting buddy with his 40+ year old 1100, which has had some reliability issues as of late. Problem #1, was double feeds (failure to extract). I replaced the extractor spring and extractor, and this problem was solved. I'm now seeing issues with failure to feed, the bottom edge the shell is getting hung up on the bottom of the chamber.

Any ideas on what needs fixing?

Attachments

• 1100.jpg
    1100.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 82
You might get by with bending the carrier up a little at the front, but if you go too much, the cartridge might hit the edge coming out of the magazine. If not, I would say that the carrier cam (part 19 on the drawing), is worn, or loose on its pivot, or the two holes that are in the carrier, that the trigger guard bushing, (28), goes through are wallowed out, causing the bolt carrier to not push the cam, (19), down far enough, when the bolt shuts. You also might try cleaning the cam well. It is spring loaded, and is on the rear of the carrier. Take the trigger guard out, and you'll see the cam (19) sticking up on the RH side, when looking from the rear.

021100schematic.png

Copyright (C) Remington

It is also possible that if the gun was taken down that the carrier dog follower and its spring (P/N 25 and 27 were lost or not installed properly.

Jim

Check intercepter spring and function
Make sure the retain clip is still holding it on the stud.

Last edited:
Problems with the 1100 I had began with pn55 and the retainer clip that held it on the metal post/stud that's shown on the left inside of the receiver. That metal post is a soft metal and will eventually wear out. If that is your problem, your best course of action is to sell the shotgun. I had to shoot an incredible amount of times to wear the 1100 out, but I finally did. My gunsmith could not keep it shooting reliably, and it would occasionally spit parts on the ground (no kidding). Until the problems started, it was a good shotgun, but once the problems did start, they kept getting worse.

Sell it and buy a recoil operated action shotgun. I did.

Funny you mention part 55, the 1100 that I'm working on had a cracked receiver in this area, I replaced the receiver a couple of years ago and it's been running good until the current feed issue. I'm taking it to the club today to re-check the feed issue, will try bending the lifter just a touch.

Thanks for all the advice!

Yep, guncrank, I was pretty sure we were talking about the same part. The first sign of failure is when you start to get double feeds. Later is when parts get spit out, and pn55 is the primary part getting spit. You usually lose the circlip at that time.

The 1100 is a good shooting shotgun, but it has a defined use life measured in rounds fired. As suggested by the gunsmith, I had it stuck back together one more time and then sold it. Then, after having studied shotguns a bit and talked to owners, I went toward the Browning humpback design and bought a Remington Model 11. Took it to Briley in Houston and had their screw in choke system installed. No problems after that.

I used to entertain hunters on a corporate lease. Not my primary job, which was trading oil, but to entertain the folks I did business with. One day we shot doves in south Texas and we ran a lot of ammo through our shotguns. Most guys had 1100's, and there was a cleaning station back at the ranch just for them to clean up nasty gunked up gas guns. I was busy dunking my metal parts in cleaning liquids (Hoppes, I think), trying to get it clean enough for the next day, in the hope that it wouldn't jam from carbon fouling, when one of my customers walked over to the gun rack and put his uncleaned Browning A5 in the rack. I asked if he wanted to clean it. He said it didn't need cleaning. I said "BS", and he took the gun apart quickly to show me that it was indeed clean. He said that all of us young dumba____ didn't know to buy recoil operated shotguns. No gas system to clean. So when my 1100 gas gun died, I went to a recoil operated shotgun. I will never again own a gas operated shotgun.

Back