Remington 1100, 20 Ga shells

Maka

I just bought a used Remington 1100, 20 ga, I think it's an older one cause it doesn't have the removable choke and the barrel is stampped with "MOD".
I would like some advise on what kind of shells to shoot with this. I plan to shoot clay targets hand thrown and machine thrown. I also plan do some dove hunting later this year down in Az when I get the comfortable with this shotgun. I've never been dove hunting before and have only shot my friends shotguns. I'm more familar with 22's, 9mm and AR15's. But I would like to give this a try.
Mostly what I seen for low $ is game and target loads: 7/8 and 1 oz, #8 or 7.5, and 2.5 dram.
Opions Please.
Thanks
Tony

[This message has been edited by Maka (edited May 25, 2000).]

Your acquisition will take 2 3/4" shells. That bbl is choked Modified,as you might have gathered, and the piece will last well nigh forever if taken care of properly.

As with all used purchases, it should be looked over by a qualified gunsmith.

For ammo, pattern a few kinds of trap and field loads, and pick the one in 8 or 7 1/2 that works best. 7/8 oz is plenty for doves and clays..

Yes, Modified choke, is about right in the middle as far as constriction goes on chokes. I would recommend using 7 1/2 shot for trap and hand thrown, if you are shooting skeet, I would recommend using 9 shot. 7/8 oz. loads are the standard for 2 3/4 target loads. If you want to shoot sporting clays, I use a mixture of shells, some 9 some 7 1/2. You could probably do fine with 8 shot too.

Darknight

------------------
G21, the only one.
1911 A1 another one.
AR15 the long one.

Ah! 8 shot for trap? No thank you. For trap the only shot to use is 7 1/2. The 7 1/2 has enough energy left downrange and more momentum to brake the clay all by itself. It only takes one pellet to break a clay with 7 1/2. Can't do that with 8, especially if you ride them out. For skeet, since you are much closer to the target, 9 has enough enrgey to break through. But trap, the target is much farther away, and the pellets need much greater weight to keep the necessary momentum.

Trap: 7 1/2
Skeet: 9

Hueco

Back