Remington 11-87

Jack O'Conner

I have a chance to buy a lightly used 11-87 for a good price. Anyone have long term experience (reliability) with this shotgun? I'll use it mostly for sporting clays and occaisonal trap shooting.

Jack

Last edited:
Yes, they're a good reliable semi-auto gas operated shotgun....like any gas gun, you have to keep them clean and properly lubed...and it should be just fine for a good entry level gun.

The 11-87's and the 1100 remingtons are fairly old technology vs some of the newer gas guns from Beretta, Browning - Winchester, etc...but there is nothing wrong with them. Lots of guys at my club are still shooting 1100's or 11-87's.

ive had one for 8yrs. now and not a single problem yet as said above keep em maintaned and it will always go bang when you need it. i think they are a great shotgun .HTH :)

I have 18K rounds through mine, no issues. Love it. Having said that, here are a few parts that may break through usage: the O ring, the link, the piston, and the piston seal (although the last two now come connected together, and I have had no failures). There is a parts kit that sells for $85 that contains all of the above. The nice thing about the gun is that you can easily replace almost every part yourself if one does break.

Last edited:
I'll add that you can call remington and speak to a person if you have a problem. You can also order the parts from Remington's country store. I just ordered a barrel for my 11-87 and was confused about the Gas cylinder spring it needed. I called and within a few minutes I knew the answer and the part is on it's way to me.

I've had the 1187 skeet model for more then twenty-five plus years..................never have had a problem with it.
:D

Back