Remington 11-87 and Winchester Light Target Loads

herdman

Took out a new 11-87 12 gauge today and it would not cycle light target loads. It would fire the first shell but not eject or load second round. Gun was cleaned before we went out. Changed to Remington Gun Club Target Loads and shot some Estate Dove Loads and it worked fine. The Remington shells had the same specification or close to it.

Is that normal with the Winchester light target loads? Had to be the shells.

They were Winchester Super Target XTRA Lite Target Load, 12 gauge, 2 3/4, 1180 velocity.

The 11-87 did not like them at all.

Assuming you have a field model 11-87 and not a target model with an uncompensated barrel - Get an oversized O ring to go between the piston and the original O ring. Either 1/8" or 5/64" thick if I remember right. You want to block the flow of gasses to the relief ports. Will work just like BARREL SEAL ACTIVATOR used in the SuperMag and 20 gauge versions of the 11-87. Don't forget to remove it before shooting heavy loads.
Note: The 11-87 was designed to function with all loads from 3" Magnums down to 1-1/8 ounce field loads. Some will run less, but many need the O ring help for mouse fart loads.

Last edited:
^^^^^ Exactly what he said. That was my number 1 reason for not going to a 1187. I can use my 1100 without a single problem all day using those loads.

My 20g 11-87 is finicky as well, I use my 1964 model 20g "X" model 1100, it never fails to cycle, ever!

My "field model" 11-87 is a nice dust collector in the safe. I have never been overly happy with it or completely disappointed in it, just not confident with it.

I never had a bobble with three 11-87s, but I have never been a light load lover. The 20 gauge 1100 Magnum/11-87 is a lot finickier than the 12 gauge version I have found over the years.

I have a 11-87 Sporting Clays gun with light contour barrel. I have shot 7/8 oz light loads with out a problem. But I can't shoot heavy field loads in it its a clays gun period.
I suspect yours is a field gun.

They were Winchester Super Target XTRA Lite Target Load, 12 gauge, 2 3/4, 1180 velocity.

There are very few (the VM will) auto-loaders that will run the XtraLite loads. Light Target (same dram) the the heavier payload gives more dwell time and thus the better function. 3Dram is considered the lower end for most autoloaders, but a broken in an well lubed one should run the 1-1/8 ounce 1145s and most won't run the 1 ounce 1180 loads.

O-ring swaps and even the activator likely won't help. If that load is important for you to run, drill out one of the gas ports one size or clip 2 coils off the recoil spring.

Thanks to all for the answers and advice. It is a field gun, not sporting clays model.

I think the best solution is to use different shells.

I like the shot gun though. Not bad for the price. Does what I need it to.

At the the price of $8.17 that CTD sells them for, I'd be buying Gun Clubs and have a better hull for reloading

There are very few (the VM will) auto-loaders that will run the XtraLite loads

I have some Beretta gas guns, one of which is a 3.5", and both eat my 3/4oz reloads with zero issues. That's equal to a light 28 gauge load - crushes targets, kills dove dead

My 1100 can't quite match that, but it will do ok with the Winchester Low Recoil, Low noise rounds.
Kind of 20 gauge equivalents.
My pump will do them even better. :)
Ta Da Dum.

Drilling out the ports on a 11-87 will accomplish nothing because of the gas bleed off system. The ports are already bigger than those on an 1100 Skeet barrel. If you add the O ring it will almost certainly cycle anything.
The ONLY difference between an 1100 and an 11-87 is the barrel gas ring set up, and the operating handle retention system, and the extractor. Even the action spring is the same.

I even had a similar issue with my 1100 Clasic Trap (a dedicated target gun). Turned out I was running it too dry. Try some lube on the mag tube and gas components first see if that works. Those guns like to be run wet that's for sure.

Some people swear you need to run them wet, others are the opposite. I spray everything and then wipe off the excess and it has worked flawlessly for 52 years and over 115,000 rounds on my first one, and on the 13 that have followed it. Giving them a GOOD cleaning once a year (or whenever you go swimming), including the action spring tube in the butttock, will solve more problems than just about everything else combined. If whatever you are doing is working for you, don't change.

Herdman, You found the best answer on your own. Don't shoot Winchester cheap ammo!!! The shotgun forums are full of reports about FTE in Semi-automatics and some pump action shotguns using these shells. The metal base on these shells is weak (soft) and expand enough upon ignition to grab the chamber making it hard to eject reliably. I also think Remington recommends 1 1/8 oz 1200fps minimum to be shot through the 11-87. The gun is heavy enough and is gas operated so as to be a really soft shooter even with these load minimum recommendations.

The issues with most ammo today is the use of steel (cheap) bases which expand but do not always shrink back down and can grab - especially on a rough chamber which a lot of less expensive guns seems to have.

Back