Remington 11-48 problem

jcj54

I have a Remington 11-48 12 gauge that locks open every shot even when the mag is full.
It has been thoroughly cleaned and lubed, still happens every shot
advice appreciated

I don't know the answer, . . but am waiting for someone to offer a suggestion, I own an 1100 and I think they are of a similar design.
Doug Lee

Last edited:
REM 11-48 is a recoil operated Browning design , 1100 is gas operated. However they both have buffer springs in stock. This causes problems in both models if they are not cleaned. Every time gun is cleaned and oiled the results will end up draining into buffer tube & spring. Many never clean this assembly because it requires removing the stock.
Can result in various stages of cutting cycle short. Would be 1st thing I checked.

This one

Has had the stock and recoil spring assembly disassembled cleaned and lubed. The trigger group, bolt assembly barrel and all disassembled and cleaned and properly lubed and reassembled. The Sportsman 58, 1100, and 11-87 all are designed to lock the bolt open after every shot and when a shell comes out of the mag it trips a latch on top of the carrier and releases the bolt. An empty mag results in the bolt remaining open.
The 11-48 operates completely differently.and I am having difficulty finding the cause of it locking open with shells In the mag.

Last edited:
Hello Drm50,
The action is not short cycling, it locks open with every cycle even if the magazine has shot shells available.
Doug Lee

As I understand it, the 11-48 was basically an update of the Model 11/Browning Auto-5 design which was modified to be less expensive to produce and had a rounded receiver to give it a more "modern" look as opposed to the classic Model 11/Auto-5 "humpback" receiver. As such, the 11-48 shares the same long-recoil operation with its progenitors and there, I think, may lie the solution to your problem.

In Browning long-recoil operation, the barrel and bolt cycle locked together for the full length of the bolt's travel under recoil. Once the barrel/bolt assembly reaches it full rearward travel, the barrel unlocks and is pushed forward by the recoil spring while the bolt remains momentarily locked to the rear during which time the spent shell is ejected. Once the barrel reaches it full forward travel, a catch is tripped which releases the bolt and allows it to travel forward picking up the next shell from the carrier and feeding it into the chamber unless all the shells in the magazine have been fired in which case the bolt remains locked to the rear until a button is manually pressed to release it (a Browning Auto-5 also has a magazine cutoff which can be engaged, the Remington Model 11 and later Savage 720 lack this feature). Here is a video with an animated view of how a Browning Auto-5 works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MfLYgTe6NI

It appears to me from the video that the barrel trips the shell latch when it reaches full forward travel thus allow the next shell in the magazine to be released onto the carrier. The rim of the shell moving backward on the carrier seems to trip the catch which releases the bolt thus the bolt is not released when all the shells are expended (or in the case of a Browning, when the magazine cutoff is engaged) because there is no shell present to trip the catch. When your shotgun malfunctions, is the next cartridge being released onto the carrier or is it staying in the magazine? If the next shell is released onto the carrier, I think the bolt catch is most likely the source of your problem. If the next shell is remaining in the magazine, I think the shell latch is the more likely culprit.

When the bolt got held back after firing, was there a fresh shell on the lifter?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Webleymkv, Thanks for the update on 11-48 operation.
tangolima, We'll have to wait to hear from jcj54 on the shell on the lifter answer.

Thanks again!
Doug Lee

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I don't recall if a shell was on the lifter. This week is really busy with family stuff, will test it again and report as soon as I can.

From The High Road Forum,
entropy responded with:

Go to Numrich's schematic for the 11-48. It is most likely the shell latch, part # 59 in the schematic. Look at the tip of it on yours. If worn, replace it.
Numrich seems to be out of them at the moment, I'd give Ahlman's a call.

It could possibly be the carrier latch, part 19, also, but I'd replace the shell latch first. Most likely to cause the malfunction you mentioned.

FYI

Thanks,
Doug Lee

Finally got a chance to test it again

Shell is coming out of magazine onto carrier but bolt staying open. I do not know if the magazine spring is supposed to put enough momentum to the shell to release the carrier latch or if something else is causing it. If I push the carrier latch button it feeds the shell in. Firing then ejects the empty, a new shell comes onto the carrier and the bolt locks open.
I am flummoxed.

Shell is coming out of magazine onto carrier but bolt staying open. I do not know if the magazine spring is supposed to put enough momentum to the shell to release the carrier latch or if something else is causing it. If I push the carrier latch button it feeds the shell in. Firing then ejects the empty, a new shell comes onto the carrier and the bolt locks open.

I am flummoxed.
Looks like the cartridge stop operates correctly. The fresh shell on the carrier (lifter) should hit the carrier latch to pop the carrier up and release the bolt. There seems to be a hiccup in the part of operation.

Unless you want to tinker with it, I'd suggest taking it to a smith.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jcj54
On another forum someone wrote . . .

entropy responded with:

Already been asked this a week or so ago, and I provided the answer.
If that didn't fix it, they can try replacing the magazine spring.
as a continuation of #11 of above.
(from another forum)

Doug Lee

Last edited:
Back