Remingtion 700 AAC-SD Brake or Suppress?

abercasten

Hey guys, I just bought a Remington 700 AAC-SD in 308 Win that has threads for either a muzzle brake or suppressor. I've never put much thought into suppressing a high powered rifle before, but I can see some advantages to having an "almost" silent rifle. On the other hand, a muzzle brake/compensator is more tempting to me because of the reduced cost. My question is, which one would you go with and why?

Just out of curiosity, why get a bolt action rifle that is threaded, and even named after a suppressor manufacturer who partnered with Remington (AAC makes suppressors), if you don't want to suppress it?
Muzzle brakes on heavy weight bolt action .308s aren't particularly that useful. It's not as if it's a 5.5# .338 WinMag.

I'd say go with the suppressor. Otherwise, sell the thing, get a 700-SPS Tactical or 700-P, and pocket the difference in price if you don't want a suppressor.

Welcome to the forum!

What do you plan on using this rifle for? Where do you shoot it? If you've got wide open places to shoot it, get the muzzle brake. If you shoot around people or at the range mostly, maybe go with the suppressor (don't forget your paperwork!)

Or buy one now and get the other later. :)

Well, a good .308 suppressor is hearing safe, and wont be a bother to your neibors anymore than shooting .22 short. The other one is louder than without it... depends on what you want.

Well, I got it because it was cheap, from a guy needing the money. My neighbors are used to gunshots, we shoot around here all the time :p . I like the relatively short 20" barrel, I'm just trying to figure what I really want to go for for the future upgrade. I'm only going to go one way or the other. I plan on deer/coyote hunting and probably a lot more target shooting. Does a brake help much with quick follow up shots on a heavy 308 bolt gun?

i've got the sps tactical model myself. it was threaded too. the aac suppressor is supposed to achieve some wicked suppression on that rifle. haven't pulled the trigger on that purchase yet tho. i ended up putting a yhm flash suppressor on it instead. not sure how much it helps, but it looks cool and extends the barrel a little longer so my bipod legs don't stick out past the barrel.

2011-03-12_17-15-49_93-1.jpg

Hi Dan, thanks for the nice pic! Is that a detachable magazine you've got on there? I've got almost the exact same setup, with DNZ rings and a 3-9X40 Zeiss. How's the recoil? Do feel a brake would help out? If not, I'll probably save up for the suppressor.

like i said, i just wanted the brake for the looks. when you fold up my bipod, the legs went past the end of the barrel, and i thought it looked funny.

sorry for all the individuals posts, but i had to congratulate you on spotting the dnz rings. that's a good eye! i love that zeiss. just wish i would have found one with mil-dots.

you can't put a detachable mag on this gun as far as i know.
Yeah,you can put a detachable mag system on most 700 Remington BDL style actions, but it's a bit pricey for what you get.
HS Precision makes a conversion kit: http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-381/H-dsh-S-Precision-Pro-dsh-Series-Steel/Detail

There are at least 2 or 3 other makers,too.

to the OP: You're not going to get much -useable- muzzle flip assistance from a brake on a .308 bolt action, such that it will speed up follow up shots. I don't think it's worth the extra noise on a relatively low recoiling rifle, anyway.
On a lightweight AR carbine for tactical matches they're really handy. Not so much on a big bolt rifle...
A good suppressor will eliminate flash, and reduce muzzle movement in addition to reducing the sound signature.
Save your pennies for an AAC Cyclone or the like, IMHO.

Back