Remember Toy Guns?

chadintex

I remember about 12 years ago I had toy replicas of modern guns like the MP-5 and all kinds of other neat guns. When I was about 15 I was to cool to play with toys anymore, so I gave them to a nephew who destroyed them quickly. What toys did you folks have? Does anyone know how to find these modern toy guns now. All any of my searches have turned up are old SAA types worth more money than I am. Merry Christmas Everyone.

Ah! The Mattel Fanner Fifty, copy of the Colt SAA that shot little plastic bullets out of spring loaded cases. Can't remember what they called it but Mattel also made a neat lever rifle that used the same bullets.
Anybody remember "Greenie stick-um caps"?

Actually, I had a copy of a Browning .30 cal with a tripod and a ammo belt, it had a little red thing that moved in and out to simulate firing. I had a couple of metal 1911's and a snubby revolver that fired little "bullets" with ring caps used as powder. I had a pump shotgun that fired little yellow pellets. I had water guns that looked like Mac-10's and mini-uzi's. I had the air rifle that looked like an M-16, I forget what all I had, but I had a lot.

I remember as a kid having a Dick Tracey snub nose detective special by Mattel. And remember having the six gun rig as worn by Palidin on Have Gun Will Travel. I remember the greenie stickems

I guess that was the start of my obcession

Happy Holidays and Happy Shooting :)

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

[This message has been edited by loknload (edited December 23, 1999).]

Mattel also had a Rolling Block rifle that used the same Shootin' Shells. Kilgor had a SAA that was the same size as a real Colt. That one used toy cartridges that had a brass case and a metal 'bullet". You pulled the bullet out, put a round cap in the case and put the bullet back in the case. If I remeber correctly that toy was single action. They also made two smaller revolvers that were DA but use the same type of "cartridge."

Then there were the "JOHNNY EAGLE" brand of toy guns that were full sized plastic but used the Mattel Shootin' Shells or something like them. I have a Johnny Eagle 1911A1 in my 1911 collection. The magazine holds 7 .45 caliber plastic cartridges and the slide works. Kind of neat.

Kilgor, way back when, also made a toy Colt New Service that was life sized. It used the 6 shot paper disk caps. I really wish I had that one back again.

Then there were the windup Grease guns that fired roll caps full auto. I think the same company made a Thompson that worked the same way. The Grease gun was life sized as I remember. Can you imagine the furor that would arise if any of these were being made today. Now all there are those "dweeb" looking things with red plugs in the barrels.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited December 23, 1999).]

I see a certain irony in the retard-looking toys. Rumanian kids can have real-looking toys...but not real guns. Our kids can have .22 rifles gifted to them that cost not much more than those ugly sad excuses for toys. This holiday season, buy some cheap, old but functional .22s and give generously.

We had a lever action cap gun and of course, single action cap guns. Both used those red color paper roll caps (which I now use to make percussion caps when I'm bored). Also had my share of water pistols too. They are not of the sophistication of the super squirter though. And yes, I have one of those Mattel 2" barrel nickel plated revolvers. How I acquired it I don't know but I still have that thing and it looks real enough to be shot over.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I'm in the same bracket as Grayfox and loknload. I had a Mattel Fanner Fifty that shot the plastice 'shoot-em shells' with stick-um caps. Also got the Have Gun Will Travel set. I had to buy (sold a LOT of pop bottles) my own Rifleman rifle, though. You can still find these items for sale on e-bay, but the price is a bit higher than it was back then. Do you older folks also recall watching Matty Mattel twirl those pistols during the commercials? WOW! Got me started. Where are you Sky King? Happy Holidays to all my friends on TFL

Around 1970 I had a .50 cal BMG that was battery operated. :)
It had the twin handles at the rear, the thumg "Fire" button & a Bi-Pod on the front.
An oval cirlce of Silver bullets ran through the breech continuously when fired.
DAMN I miss it !
I've STILL got 2 Battle Ships that are 3" long & also battery operated, with Missle & Torpedo launchers & Main Guns that all fire.
Ahh.... The good ol' days. :)
Btw, I'm 36 now ! ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

I had that .50, HS. This was about 15 years later, tho'.

Loads and loads of cap guns. Funny thing, there were pre and post-ban cap guns, if you will. They used to be correctly black. Then came the little orange "this is not a gun" muzzle covers. Well, those came off easily ;) but then they started making the whole things out of red plastic! I was angry, but I kept buying them with my allowance (hmm, this all seems to relate to something going on right now, but I can't think what...)

However, on one occasion I discovered that if you took the black cylinder from a new red snubnose cap gun and used it the place of the silver cylinder on an old black snubnose cap gun, you now had an absolutely realistic .38.

Funny, it never occurred to me that I could go do evil with it.

I also had a garage sale find; a toy lever-action rifle with a little light beneath the barrel that flashed when you pulled the trigger. You pointed it at this cheesy plastic fence-type deal and aimed at cans on top of the fence. A sensor in the fence would receive the light and activate a little lever which, in turn, knocked the can in the air.

And let us not forget squirt guns. Once I filled my Super Soaker 200 with Big Red soda pop. I tell you, THAT was a great day.

See what happens when you deprive your kids of the real thing? :)

I just remembered my fav. cap gun.
A nickled Colt SAA that took roll caps in the grip & feed up to the hammer.
When you fired it the cylinder turned & the "best"(?) thing was it was Double Action so...Bang, bang, bang as fast as you could pull the trigger ! :)
Everyone remember how POTENT the old roll caps were ?
THE didn't go bang, the EXPLODED - BANG ;)
Bit like the wussy fireworks today.....
The are Low Powered compared to the good old days. :(

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Anyone remember the Thompson Sub gun that was a squirt gun, held a lot of water and was a real advantage in a squirt gun fight.

How about the 1911 plastic kit, the slide would move back and eject every time you pulled the trigger.

Then of course there was the bolt action "Springfield" that had a working bolt and a wooden stock.

I had one of those Browning MG's that was battery operated and had a red thing move in and out of the muzzle, sat on a tripod as I remember.

Jeez, Greenie stickum caps!

How come we never had school shootings. Actually we did, but used water pistols, and had the guns confiscated and spent time in "Detention" if caught.

Geoff Ross

My dad was in the Air Force and we lived in Germany in '71 - '75. When I was about 11 I got a toy Walter PP that looked just like the real thing. The trigger actuated the hammer, it took a clip that held special caps that came in a plastic strip. It cost around $25 at a German toy store, real money in those days. I guess it what we'd call a replica gun today. Me and my little friends played Army all day every day. I could be either the diabolical German Officer or the GI with the liberated pistol, what ever the tactical situation called for. We traveled all over Europe and I took that gun with me everywhere. Sad, now days I'd be just a little worried to travel out of state with a toy pistol like that it in my trunk. -- Kernel

I had a machine gun mounted on a tripod it was all metal had a feed ramp on top that you put bullets into. It had a crank on the side as you turned it the bullets shot out. The bullets were wood and had rubber tips on them. This was about 1956. If I remember right those wooden bullets hurt like the devil when they hit you. Don't remember the name of it or who manufactured it to long ago.

------------------
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves againest tyranny in government" Thomas Jefferson

from about '56 to '60 Mattel had produced
1. an M3 grease gun that was roll cap firing and had a wind up mecanism so that when you pulled the trigger it would autofire the caps.
2. a Thompson that used a pull handle and rachet system that would fire auto until it ran down (about 20-25 "shots")
3. the tripod .30 cal machine gun (as stated above) with the resipricating red tip
4. several models of the "Shootin' shells" pistols (I had the peacemaker "Fanner" and a derringer belt buckle set)
5. a bolt action, shell ejecting deer rifle

I also had two "Nichols" made .45 pistols, they had a shell that was in two pieces, you put the cap into the base and then placed the "Bullet" into it and then loaded the pistol just like the original.

also an inported cap pistol (By revell I think) that was a perfect copy of a Lugar

must have been very violent childhood huh???

my neigborhood had 15 boys between the ages of 8 and 14 and several small wooded areas close by,,,, so when we played "guns".... it was a hoot!!

Oh yes, NICHOLS not Kilgor for the toy revolvers I was talking about. They even had an derringer that used the same "ammo". Somewhere around this place I have a box with my Nichols revolver and derringer as well as a small supply of cartridges. The "bullets" had a hole that ran the length of them so the pistol would smoke when fired.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

I remember the Thompson. It was cammo and came in a set with a plastic Kabar and a cammo pouncho. Had the Fanner 50 and a reduced size Winchester 94 to go with it. There was a copy of a Springfield training rifle, bolt action with a wood cartridge painted gold that was attached to the bolt. I also had a muzzleloader that used cork balls, the Greenie Stick'em cap went on the flash pan and provided the gas to fire the cork ball. I remember the Luger too. It had a big hard box holster made of plastic with a tab that you pulled to get the gun high enough to grip it.

Do you think that years from now, some old duffs will be sitting around talking about toy guns? "I had a silver pistol with a big red barrel not like the dweeb stuff today all bright orange and green."

LOL

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

Back