rem core loct factory loads fouling bore

stillquietvoice

has anyone expierienced copper fouling with rem core loct factory loads.
i have a rem 700 sps in 7mm08, and bought 1 box of rem 140 grain bullets to see if my rifle would shoot them well and for brass to reload.
i cleaned the bore prior to going to range. i fired 15 rounds with decent accuracy. when i returned home i checked the bore and it looked like a copper mine inside.
ive used several brands of factory ammo with only minor traces of copper lefy in barrel that simply brushed out. are the jackets on core locts a softer alloy or did i get a bad lot number. any information will be helpful.
thank you all in afvance for yoyr insights.

I think what happened was when you cleaned the barrel. You stripped all the copper out of it and then when you fired it copper jacket was filling the "voids" and that is what you are seeing. BTW this is my experience and opinion, but factory rifle barrels aren't exactly smooth and of highest quality and they tend to shoot better with fouling in them. The copper and fouling fills the voids and covers rough spots making for a smoother bore and in many cases actually shoot better.

Just keep shooting it and when the accuracy degrades then you clean it.

i get that barrels arent always smooth. remmington (from what i understand i hammer forged so it should be smoother) than a button or cut rifled bore. other bullets ive used leave a slight trace of copper in the bore. what i cleaned was thick deposits that completely obscured the lands and grooves.
also ive fired about 200 rounds through it so far and no other bullet has done this factory or reload.
privy ppu 140 spbt, honandy interlock 139 gr or nosler partition 160.

Ok having more info you may be correct and the copper must be softer than other bullets. If it shoots fine then I would not worry. Also could be that the bullets may be slightly larger than other bullets you've shot so they are getting more friction on the rifling so more copper can come off.

"... thick deposits that completely obscured the lands and grooves."

However did you get it out? No, that is not normal for any bullet. Even the old cupro-nickel bullets didn't do that. IMHO, it is worth a call or e-mail to Remington; it could be batch of soft jacket metal. No guarantee, but they might replace the ammo if it looks like a factory problem.

Jim

yes i did get it out took three hours. hoppes benchrest copper and bore scrubber. with bronze brush. will have to contact rem.

am waiting for response from rem customer dervice. will post response.

Last edited:
remmingtons customer service is sending me a shipping box so that the remaing ammo can be amalized. if it is found to be defrctive they will replace or refund the purchase price.

Send them some of the ammo but not all.

Keep a good representative sample, 50% at least.

they owe you a new barrel, refund price does not cover what was done.

You should run some copper cleaner through it as well, use a nylon brush with that and a jag that is plastic (it won't destroy one but it will corrode it)

I would document the time and effort on it and pictures of the results of the copper cleaning.

rc20 managed to get it all out. only have 5 rounds left out of box. bought it in ne pa. gun store has more in stock at 30.00 a box. cant see buying more to send off to remmington.

I've never encountered this problem and it's all I use in my 30-06 rifle an old savage and my tikka as well.

In the mean time, switch to Federal or Winchester for your factory ammo until you have enough brass to reload. You could also use 308 Winchester brass if you don't mind the difference in headstamps.

Ivde been running hornandy 139 interlocks factory loads. wanted to try remmingtons out. lgs here have limited offerings in 7mm08. most dont stock bullets for reloading either. but have ordered some through small gun store. they havent come in yet. found 150 partition but only 12. loaded them up and waiting for my next day off to try them out.

J B's bore cleaner or Flitz on cotton patches thru the bore will help remove copper and smooth a rough bore, these products aren't needed often but it's not unusual to use them when breaking in a new firearm. William

Ivde been running hornandy 139 interlocks factory loads. wanted to try remmingtons out. lgs here have limited offerings in 7mm08. most dont stock bullets for reloading either. but have ordered some through small gun store. they havent come in yet. found 150 partition but only 12. loaded them up and waiting for my next day off to try them out.

If you can get ahold of some Barnes 140Gr. TSX give them a try. They do very well in both my 700's.

rc20 managed to get it all out. only have 5 rounds left out of box. bought it in ne pa. gun store has more in stock at 30.00 a box. cant see buying more to send off to remmington.

I would keep 2 or 3, send the other two to Remington. Just a bit suspicious it disappears and what ammo?

Never heard of anything like it, slow build up yes, that no.

You might see about getting the Mods to post a sticky.

You should get copper solvent and check, almost impossible to get all copper out like that, worth a check before it gets jammed in worse.

Remington still owes you money, mike the bullets in the ones you keep, be interesting to see what diameter is.

Back