Rem 870

oberkommando

I was being cute the other day with my snap caps in my 870 and double feed the thing (it imediatly jammed) and I believe the ejector? broke in two. If you look into the reciever opening the long flat spring that is on left side of bolt, against the inside of the left side of the receiver, this flat leaflike spring is in a channel and I was wondering how hard it is to replace, I have done some work on 1911s and a lot of auto motive work i.e. I have some basic skills, can this be done at home or is it better to pay smith? Where can I get replacement part?

Cant wait to get my benelli back from vang, it doesn't care if one is on the carrier.

George is right. Although Brownells sells the necessary tools, it's tough to do the job right and you'll want it to be right...

As an aside, does your gun have the Flexitab system? (a tab in the shell lifter) If not consider it. Also check the shell stops- they might need restaked if it's double feeding...

This gun works fine it was me being cute with it "hand over receiver port" to prevent the snap cap from ejecting so I could just dry fire by reseting hammer, I shouldnt of had another cap in tube. In future I will buy more caps and just cycle normally.

Thanks for the fast responces.

Not ready to sell just yet, I have spent about 700 on this gun in work and only shot 30 rounds, I never new 870 was that sensitive with 2 shells in reciever, I have shot my benelli many times with one on the carrier. I did not try to rack forward with full presure more like guiding bolt with forward pump, then again the ejector isnt that big compared to my arm and the leverage of that pump. Wont happen again. Then again I wont shoot it much once my benelli returns from Hans Vang.

I had heard from a Remington repairman that the ejector spring was the ONLY part on an 870 prone to breakage and it's repair is best left to the factory. He said that usually an owner will fool around with the weapon and actually pull the ejector spring up away from the reciever wall. Whe the bolt is next closed the bolt face will catch the end of the ejector spring and snap it when the bolt is closed. I had 2 870 wingmasters for 20 years and never had a problem like that. I am still trying to visualize how a double-feed would cause the spring to break...

Ben

Ben I have no idea how it happend but my bolt was nowhere near locked up when i had break i cycled back and then partially forward then the ejector snapped and the bolt would not go forward at all the rear part of ejector was sticking out in front of the bolt face blocking any forward travel the back area of ejector about 1/2" is what broke off.

I then Frankenstein'd my high grade wingmaster with the parts of my defence gun ie barrel and extension, it doesnt look quiet right half gun high gloss and other half matte black, but a bg wont know the difference.
SE YA.

After 40 years of shooting 870s both personally and professionally, I've seen maybe 4 or 5 ejectors bust at the front corner. Replacing them is a gunsmith job. The only other glitch I've heard of is that dry firing during cold weather may cause the firing pin to break. Replacing one of those is NBD. Y'oughta have a spare or two in your Y2K/It Just Hit The Fan supplies anyway.

Double feeding is a new one on me. Old 870s can sometimes have a shell come down behind the carrier, locking up the action. The FlexTab system was developed to stop that.
On those not so equipped, there's two ways of clearing the stoppage. If you've plenty of time, removing the mag tube cap and clearing out the tube from the front will work. If there's no or little time, grab the weapon, hold down the slide release,and slam the butt down on some hard surface with some muscle behind it. This usually clears it, but is rather hard on the stock and components. I regard it as an emergency move for A-S scenarios.

Hope this helps...

Any gunsmith can furnish and install a Flexitab. Basically it's a modified shell carrier that replaces the one in the weapon.
Remington supplies them in the newer 870s, so it's possible yours already has one. If the shell carrier is solid, with no cutouts or slots in it as seen from the bottom of the loading port, it isn't a Flexitab.

Back