Rem 870 rear sight

NiteSite

Actually, my marine mag doesn't have one, and I think it needs one. No pre-drilled/tapped holes exist, and the local (smalltown) smith is about useless. Alternatives? Has any genius figured a way to improve what I have, which is.... point of impact at 50' with slugs is down 2" to 4" at 50 feet, with 4 brands/lengths of slugs, and 60% of 3 sizes of buckshot pattern on same side. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

------------------

NiteSite, I'm a small town smith myself but anyone who calls himself a gunsmith should be able to install a rear sight on a shotgun. Some folks will bend or spring the barrel to correct point of impact. But I really don't recommend it in a short barreled gun. I can install the sights for you if you like. Just e-mail me. George

Nitesite, I find one of the best rear sights for the 870 is a MMC ghost ring. I thinks it's silver soldered to the receiver and cost is about $120. I assume you have a bead in the front so you'll need a front sight base and a post which dovetails in. Front and rear have optional tritium dots. I shoot a lot of slug and while the facotry rifle sights are ok, the MMC ghost are much more precise.

Wilson Combat (nee Scattergun Technology) makes a great ghost ring rear tritium front combo called the Trak-Lock System. "Trak-Lock rear gives fast, single, set-screw adjustment of elevation and windage." Brownells has it for $114.95, and the best part is they also have a drill/tapping rig for just $10 to install the rear sight. From the ad, "Steel fixture holds drill and tap square to shotgun receiver; simplifies installation of Trak-Lock™. Makes accurate drilling and tapping almost foolproof. Rugged and strong, not pretty." Sounds like you could DIY with a little patience.

Scott

Back