Rem "870 Home Defense" -- versatility?

BrianF-Jax

Hi, been browsing the forums here, excellent resource!

I'm considering purchasing my first shotgun, (first gun for that matter). I'm looking at the 870HD. My question about this gun is about its versatility.

While my primary interest in this gun is for a home defense role, will I be able to have fun with this gun at a shooting range? Clay shooting?

Thanks in advance,

-Brian

Yes, it's as easy as swapping the short HD-type barrel for the appropriate slug or shot barrel. There are barrels available for virtually any need or preference.

WHat J said is true, however......

I've 3 separate 870s for different roles, simply because I tired of swapping parts, and wanted a dedicated HD arm.

#1 is a very old 870 bought used by Pop in 1956 or so, I modified it to fit the HD role by trimming the bbl, adding an extension,peep sights,etc.Zero choke, but the forcing cone's been lengthened.

#2 was an Arlington, Va cruiser gun. I added a slug bbl, peep, extension,etc, and it's taken quite a few deer since 91 or so.it's set up for tubes, and the rifled tube gets taken out and swapped for a modified one off season.

I've 2 kids, and this means that after I'm gone, or just to old to shoot, each one has the best HD tool ever made in trained hands available.

#3 started out as a Tower gun at the Md Pen. It had been parted out,the receiver was parkerized, and I built a bird/clay gun out of it.The stock has been shimmed to put about 2/3 of the pattern above POA at 25 yards,and it has tubes also in a 21" bbl.

However, I'm an enthusiast,like to tinker, and finicky. That last 870 will handle any and all HD chores if it has to.

Shotguns ARE versatile. One shotgun isn't, unless one gets extra parts and keeps swapping them.

Suggestion...

Instead of the HD 870,get the Express Turkey combo. This has a 21" vent rib bbl with tubes(comes with a super full only) and a slug bbl with a rifled tube and sights, I believe. The cost is reasonable, and it's as versatile as can be expected. A IC tube will work fine for clays and birds with the vent ribbed bbl,add a Mod tube for ducks,geese and steel shot, and you're ready.

Any of those chokes will work fine for HD, BTW. At HD ranges,there is no spread,contrary to myth.

Later on, you may want to get other specialty shoguns,but you'll have the basics covered.

Oh,yes,Brian, rereading your note I see that this will be your first gun. In that case, get some training from a good instructor. A hunter safety course would be a good start, and maybe some lessons down at the clays range. Later, you might want to try one of those high priced combat oriented schools, too.

Also, for ammo, start off on light loads. The More Is Better Principle does not apply to tyros and training ammo.

Thanks for the replies...

I've thought about it, and I might just get the HD, practice & take some classes with it, then purchase a gun more suited to recreational use. It's not like they're terribly expensive. :)

Thanks again, I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me.

-Brian

Back