Rem 870 and Sidesaddle Question

Kevinw

Ok first let me take a minute to Gloat. I just picked up a used 870 Magnum Express for $200.00 Now this might sound like an ok Deal but I think it was great because the gun was unfired. The person who bought it used Something to try to clean it that ate all the finish away from the wood. Took me about 30 minutes to refinish it. So I have my first Shotgun and I love it. :)
Now I picked up a side saddle that I bought for it. It holds six shells. Here is the problem. When I mount the sidesaddle on I can't work the action. The forend hits the side sadle and is stoped about 1 inch forward of where it should end the stroke. This prevents it from extracting or feeding. Any advice PLEASE.

the instructions for the side-saddle warn that some 870 forearms must be trimmed 1", particulary the Express. I took my Express forearm off and reshaped the whold thing to get rid of the reverse curves and sharp edges. Now it looks more like the classic Wingmaster forearm.BTW, I got my Expresss Magnum for $175 from a campus cop who only had it a week.And BTW, if you need a short home defense barrel for your Express, let me know here. I have a new 20" magnum barrel at a good price.

In addition to the excellent responses already posted:

1. You can replace your foreend with a Surefire Responder weapon-mounted light. The Responder will not give you clearance problems with a Sidesaddle.

2. You can call Remington and buy a shortened slide. But they won't sell you one unless you have an 870 Police. Having never called them, I don't know if they will ask you for your serial number to verify whether you have the proper model, but let's say you may opt to be like our Commander in Chief when asked. :)

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

Thanks for all the replies. Clogbert the Barrel is an 18 inch Magnum Barrel.
jthuang I intend to get the forend with the light mount but right now I can't afford it. I am sure we have all been there :( I LOVE this Gun though. I am not a shotgun fan. But this gun is NICE. Nice and Black just like a gun should be.

You could also modify the sidesaddle by trimming it down to 5 shell capacity. They now make a shorter 4-shell sidesaddle that eliminates this problem. Some folks didn't want to have to "ruin" their stocks.
-John

Go with the 4 shot side saddle carrier. If you interested in the forend from an 870 Police, let me know. devilpup00@home.com I might be able to dig one up for you.

I have exact same problem. Long forearm prevents side saddle of six. Haven't been able to decide whether to go with forearm with tactical light. So, opted for the side saddle with four, until I decided which forearm to go with. Two shells less, no bigey. I have a 6 +1 and side saddle with 4. If the problem hasn't been solved in 11 shots, I had better break out an Ar-15 with 30 in the mag and a lot of prayers.

------------------
Courage is only fear that has said its prayers.

If you don't mind spending the money, get the surefire forend w/the light. The new 9V is very nice. If you can find a used 6V, surefire will sell you the space and bulb assembly to upgrade.

I think the light is a must if you are going to be using the gun for work. Bad people hide in dark spaces.

------------------
Vern

You can order a shortened forend from Scattergun ( www.wilsoncombat.com ). The only have the black synthetic forends, so hope you either have a synthetic stock, or that you won't mind two different colors.
I replaced my forend with a shortened one to accomodate a 6 shot side saddle. Also replaced the standard stock with a shorter synthetic one.

Well I took the side saddle back and instead got a belt/bandolier(sp) that holds 25 shells. Loaded it with 12 2 3/4 inch magnum slugs and 13 #6 shot. I figure this will give me enough firepower for an extened camping trip or the end of the word. LOL =) Thanks for all the advice. I will be getting the forend with the light soon as well. I love this. A black evil shotgun to go with my Evil Black Rifles. :)

Back