Rem 760

Deans

Inactive
Rather new to forum posted once before. I like the way things are done here as I have
been reading TFL for awhile. Things are clean
and respectable. Just put a Rem 760 in lay
away at a local pawn shop and want to make a
brush gun. This is a project gun no ryme or
reason just something I want to do. Would like some ideas as to barrel length, scope
(shooting eye gets fuzzy at times), synthetic
stock, etc. Thanks

Hi Dean,

I think you have a fine rifle on lay-a-way.

What caliber?

I may be in the minority, but I like low powered scopes. I have a couple of the 2.5 x 8 Leupold variables on my hunting guns and a Weaver 2.5 fixed on a serious rifle. I would recommend a fixed 2.5 or 4 power if $$$ is a factor. Other folks may differ..

Barrel length might be an issue. Lots of folks (me included) like a shorter barrel. Yours is free floated and a shortening and a new crown may really give you some good groups.

Please let us know how you fare..

Giz

------------------
"Hear the voices in my head, swear to God it sounds like
they're snoring." -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

[This message has been edited by Gizmo99 (edited September 07, 1999).]

What Gizmo said. (Keep the sights, too!)

I like a 20" barrel for a brush gun. Make sure the stock fits you well and consider a discreet recoil pad, as snap shots sometimes elicit poor stock-shoulder fit. A good sling (not just a carrying strap) is worth it's weight in gold, esp. in the off-chance you get a longer shot with this handy rifle.

How 'bout dat? Three agree-ers in a row!

I have a 740K in '06. Since one of my longest ever deer kills (different rifle) was with a 3x9 variable set on 3-power, I'd say that for all practical purposes, field of view and light gathering are a heckuva lot more important than magnification, for hunting something like deer.

What the heck, for your stated purpose, a 2-1/2 by 8 may well be gilding the lily. Some four power, or a 1-1/2 to 5 oughta do well.

I believe a soft recoil pad is a Good Thing. I'm not out to prove my manhood, and anything that keeps a person from flinching is very helpful.

Shen/if you put a recoil pad on, and consider the length of pull, keep in mind what clothing you'll likely be wearing. A cold weather, thick jacket means a shorter gun than one you'd carry when only wearing a thin shirt over your shootin' shoulder...

Have fun!

Thanks for the replys. I am leaning toward
the 2.5 x 8 should I have opportunity for
open shooting. I will be putting a leather
sling on the rifle. It is 30-06 by the way.
On barrel length will be best to stay with
20" or can you go with 18" and not lose a lot? As for the stock it will be cut to
13" lop. It has wood stock and since it is a
pump question is will wet weather affect it
like other rifles? Would synthetic be better? As for a sling it will have a nice
leather one.

Thanks Deans

[This message has been edited by Deans (edited September 08, 1999).]

Generalizing, the '06 works better with slower powders and longer barrels. From 26" barrels, with the factory-spec load velocities, you'll lose roughly 50 to 70 feet per second per inch of barrel cut off.

You'll not only lose another 100 to 140 feet per second from the 300 or so you're already down, :( you'll gain in muzzle blast also... :)

I doubt there's any pragmatic difference in the handling between 20" & 18" barrels...FWIW.

Later, Art

Back