Rem. 700

STEVE M

What is it about this rifle that is so great? I've been trying to find aftermarket parts for another brand, but everything is only made for the Remington (and sometimes a Savage). I know it is suppose to be an ok rifle but come on, others are jsut as good if not better. What am I missing?

Many competitive shooters have found the Remington 700 action an inexpensive and excellent place to start building a world-class competition rifle. Its strong and has a fast lock time. That's why you see so much aftermarket stuff available for it.

Steve M.
Use the search function on "this" Forum.
There have been numerous threads written on this very subject.

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited January 16, 2000).]

The Remington 700 is an OK rifle? OK!? Ever heard of the M24 SWS? Maybe you've heard of the USMC 40A1? These are the two sniping systems in place with the US Army and USMC respectively. Both boast the Rem. 700 action. I guess MAYBE the Rem. 700 is an OK rifle. I admit that the lowest bidder is who usually builds arms systems for the military, but that is clearly not the case with this rifle.

I wasn't trying to put down the Rem. I just wanted to know what it was about it that made it so popular. It seems to be the 1911 or Rem 870 of rifles. It doesn't have controlled round feed, nor a 3 position safety (not my choice but seems to be the thing people want), and when built into a precision rifle is usually equiped with an aftermarket barrel. I am wondering if I should scrap my current rifle project and start over with the 700.

Fully adjustable trigger; push-feed generally more accurate than controlled feed. Push feed bolt surrounds case head; not so with controlled feed.

I used to be a "nut" on pre 64 Win. and spent a lot of money and time converting one to a long range competition rifle and yes, it worked fine, but eventually ended up w/ the 700 and 40X actions and they are simply very easy to work on and modify by the 'smith and consequently very popular w/ match shooters and also with the military/tactical shooters as well. "Butter smooth" actions, excellent lock time, excellent stock trigger(Jewell is better,)easy to bed/pillar, and in short, hard to beat for the dollar spent.

Walter and MonatiSemperLiberi, thanks. That's the type of information I was looking for. I didn't realize that push feed was more accurate (wonder why?). I may have to switch to one for this ongoing project.

Sorry to flame you Steve. :p Some guys are sensetive about 1911's, some guys Savage, some guys Glock.....I like the Rem. 700. It is admittedly not the best or only rifle. Just a very common one. I own a PSS model in .308 Much luck on your project

Back