rem 700 VTR??

joe.308

Inactive
Any comments on the VTR? Good or bad... just bought one about a year ago and have had nothing but good to say about it. With my hand loads I am getting a .480 5 round group at 100 yards.. but at 300 it seems to fall out to about a 6 inch group? If the theory of moa is correct shouldn't it be around 1.5 at 300?? I know some is me and wind but even on a steady day with no wind and me prone with a bi-pod my best is around 5 inch group?? any suggestions??

I'm shooting mixed brass.. mostly wichester. CCI primers,42.5 grains of H-4895 with 168 A max's. Seated at 2.850"

LOl.. yes its a .308. Sorry. But why is it always that caliber everyone gravitates to! (Rhetorical question..) in my opinion the only one better would be the .50. But who has the money for that? And yes I know. There are quite a few that rival and perhaps surpass the .308.. and total side note, son's of guns is on!!

Float the barrel on your gun and you will have your 1.5s at 300 no problem, Remington should just start doing it from the factory. While its apart get in glass bedded and if the trigger isnt done do that then you will have yourself quite the little sniper.

I have one in 223. So far I have only shot cheap PMC ammo through it and have had several half MOA groups. I have been impressed with it, I would like to see what it will do with good ammo.

Yeah.. that's no joke. Why would remington make an extremely nice and accurate rifle and give it a cheap stock? I would think if you went thru that much trouble to make a gun that claims superb accuracy that they would come factory with A mcmilian stock? But then again it would be a 1200 dollar gun

But on the other hand it does come factory with A very nice adjustable trigger. Mine is set lite aoe no creep or over travel. I would dare to say it is almost.. almost as good as the 2 stage Jewl trigger in my AR

Joe- mathematically you are correct- something seems fishy.. Is the half inch group normal out of that gun with that load? Even if the average group was an inch, it still should not shoot 6 inches at 300. Unless there was a terrible mirage or wind, that doesn't make sense. I would try it again at 300 another time or two if you can to see if the group shrinks at all. If it shrinks next time, your variable is probly the outdoor conditions. If your gun shoots a half an inch at 100 and 3 or 4 inches at 300, I wouldnt worry too much about it. When you get out to 300 and beyond, the variables just snowball on top of each other and multiply exponentially. Personally, I don't shoot for groups at all unless the conditions are perfect. Otherwise, I just become a freakin headcase and drive myself nuts.

Very true with the snow balling effect.. ill try some more when the weather breaks.. my worst group was when it was pretty cold..

I have a VTR 204 Ruger

I bought mt VTR used and put a 6.5X20 Sightron on it. I am not sure how many rounds has been thru it. I like to rifle but the accuracy seems to vary, may be the indian and not the arrow. With that being said I have shoot 3 shot groups touching and have also shot 3 shot groups about 1 1/4" same load (best 5 shot is 9/16"). All in all I like the rifle

I agree that Remington rifles are great, but the stocks could be improved greatly. I almost wish they would just sale the barreled action with no stock and let me choose what grade stock I want it to come with.

My 700 VTR .308 shoots great. I floated the barrel, and the accuracy did improve with my hand loads. It almose shoots as good as my son's 700 SPS Varmit in .308. His is shooting 1" at 200 yards where mine is closed to 1.5". Both rifles have 6X18 Nikon Buck Masters w/ mil dot's. Very happy with mine.

The stocks are pretty cheesy. I pulled off the rock hard recoil pad and found a folded piece of packing foam inside mine. I filled it up Great Stuff so at least it sounds a little more solid. There is also a sharp ridge where my right thumb rests and the front sling studs are too close together to put a bipod on the front stud.

"...Float the barrel on your gun and you will have..." There's absolutely no guarantee that floating the barrel will improve accuracy. Some rifles like it, some do not.
"...the theory of moa..." It is just a theory. There are too many variables. Wind, for instance. The bullet matter as well. Hunting rifle barrels aren't made for fabulous long range accuracy either.

I really think Remington should upgrade their stocks on their varmint/tactical rifles. I believe the VTR has the same stock as the SPS Varmint. The strange thing is that the SPS Tactical has a Hogue stock and it is $200 less than the VTR. Seems like it should be the other way around.

Love my 22-250 VTR. Shoots gnat size groups at 100 with 55gr Nosler BT and H-380. The ported barrel is a little loud for predator hunting at night though!!

Back