Rem 700 VTR

So far, this one likes 165gr boat tails, shooting <1MOA @ 100 yards. Gotta work up loads now that I have the bullet. The brake area is counter boared about 2", so the bullet is clear of the grooves when exiting the barrel.

105_1458.jpg

I shot mine for the first time yesterday and was very happy with it. I fired it 20 times total - 15 zeroing it in and getting a feel for it and the last 5 I was really trying to go for accuracy. Sub MOA on the last 5 but just barely. For a brand new rifle I think I'm going to be very happy with it.

I'm not the best shot on mine, but I'd wager an SPS would be more accurate. I don't notice the muzzle brake from a bipod. A bit louder, but not tremendously louder (at least not at my range).

I don't see the need for the slots cut in the barrel, they are not angled in a way that would reduce recoil and sinse it's a bolt action keeping the barrel down for follow up shots can't be needed. Remington put those on there for the tacticool effect. Hey I am not knocking that if that's your thing go for it.

Haven't I read that the barrel is only 18'' long when you take off the 2" for the compensator. I love the look of them but I would hate to only have an 18" barrel in a bolt gun. I might be wrong on this so if I am let me know.

The barrel is 22" (external, approx) and the counter boar is 1.7" to the crown. So figure on a 20" barrel.

My son's 700 SPS Varmit with the 26" barrel is a bit more accurate, but about 2 pounds heavier. It will hold <1" at 200 yards. We both use the same scope, a Nikon Buckmaster 6X18 Mil Dot with side focus.

Last edited:
I like my SPS Varmint in .308. I've worked up several loads for it where I get around 1/2" to 3/8" at 100 yds. on a calm day. Very accurate after I bedded the action and free floated the barrel ..... a $30 job.

I have the Rem.700 sps 24" .30-.06 and last time out i shot 0 moa at 100 yrds.
bought it just for hunting in mind....(haven't gone yet but will soon)and am happy with its performance...

You bought a Remington so you went in the right direction as far as im concerned...Accuracy should be just fine if you can shoot it...its not the gun its the operator...But then again all weapons have their limitations....

they are not angled in a way that would reduce recoil
They're angled to minimize muzzle rise, and they would help reduce recoil, also. Porting does not have to be angled toward the shooter to reduce recoil - anything that ports gas away from the barrel works.
sinse it's a bolt action keeping the barrel down for follow up shots can't be needed.
Well that's just false. Besides that, porting helps spot your impact and/or watch the vapor trail.

Yes Palmetto-Pride,all the rounds were together in the size of a quarter.
No joke i actually did.Don't know if i can repeat it again,as i only did it once.
And i didn't do 5 only 3

all the rounds were together in the size of a quarter.
A quarter size group isn't 0 MOA. A quarter is just under an inch across, so your group was probably something closer to 1 MOA than 0 MOA. Good shooting nonetheless. To measure group size, measure the distance from the outsides of the two farthest apart holes, and subtract the bullet diameter (.308").

This program is great for analyzing groups: http://www.ontargetshooting.com/index.html

I stand corrected then....Anyways,what ever crosses my line of fire wont be standing very long,which equates to dinner on the table.....:D

Thanks for the correction

They're angled to minimize muzzle rise, and they would help reduce recoil, also.

Ok maybe they would slightly help reduce recoil and I emphasize slightly.

sense it's a bolt action keeping the barrel down for follow up shots can't be needed.

Well that's just false. Besides that, porting helps spot your impact and/or watch the vapor trail.

Please explain......:confused:

Please explain......
Spotting your impact coupled with reticle features like mil-dots allows you to correct your next shot. It's easier to spot your impacts in the scope if the muzzle rises less and porting on top of the barrel helps that. And good rifle shooters can work their bolts impressively fast while maintaining their cheek weld and view of the target.

Back