Rem. 700 VS or Savage 10FP .308 for long-range rig.

CSG

My situation is I'm a lefty shooter and need a left-handed bolt action. This is going to be a varmint/long-range setup with a Leupold VariXIII 3.5x10 scope and Harris bipod.

About $225 worth of difference through local dealers (can I do better than about $630 and $405 respectively through any online dealers?). Another factor is the heavier weight of the Remington (better stock).

I know these rifles have been discussed before and I've read back through searched topics but I'd like opinion on one vs. the other. Looking for accuracy, durability, and reliability comments, and whatever else you might want to contribute.

Thanks for your input.

well I'm getting .75 moa out of my Savage 30-06 with federal premium ammo and .5 with my reloads. The remmington should shoot that good for the extra $200 right???

Buy the savage OR upgrade to the model 112 and get the target stock with the fat fore-end and palm swells.

My 2¢

Dr.Rob

I HAVE OWNED TWO REM 700VS IN 308. BOTH WERE TOPPED WITH WEAVER V-16 SCOPES AND BOTH WOULD GROUP .5" AT 100YDS WITH GOOD HANDLOADS USING THE SIERRA 155GRN PALA MATCH BULLET. I HAVE ALSO OWNED A SAVAGE 112 TOPPED WITH SAME SCOPE AND WOULD GET GROUPS UNDER ONE INCH WITH IT. THE REMINGTONS WERE OF BETTER OVERALL QUALITY, AND THE SAVAGE HAD A WORSE TRIGGER,AND THE SAFTEY WAS PRONE TO JAM AND THEN FINNALY BROKE.{THAT COULD BE A FLUKE ONLY TO THAT RIFLE} ANYWAY, THE POINT IS THAT BOTH RIFLES WILL HIT TARGETS AT EXTREME RANGES AS LONG AS YOU DO YOUR PART. BUY WHAT YOUR WALLET CAN AFFORD, LEARN TO GET GOOD WITH IT AND BE HAPPY. ONE LAST NOTE: THE REMINGTON WILL ALLWAYS HAVE A BETTER RESALE VALUE IF YOU GET BORED AND TRADE FOR SOMETHING ELSE.

Thanks for the responses. I have now had a chance to see and compare similar models (in right hand). While many say the Savage is the equal or even, perhaps, the better of the two for pure accuracy, the Remington is unquestionably the better feeling of the two and I would kick myself for not spending the extra $230.

As I don't intend this rifle to be carried much, the heavier but significantly nicer Remington gets the nod.

Just wondering if the Rem. LH costs more than the RH? Price for the RH around here is around $529; I saw a stainless fluted about two weeks ago for $589, in .308. Don't ever see the LH models, however. FWIW, I shoot a Rem. 700VS in .223, topped by an inexpensive Tasco WC TS 8-32X44mm scope. Only mod is a Timney trigger.

First five shots down the pipe the other day at the range measured .246". That's with 55gr. Ballistic Tips, 25.3gr. H335. I have a friend who has a .308 VS, and he's shot in the 3's.

I concur that the Remington feels better, but having owned a 700VS and 10FP in 308, the hassles in getting the Remington shootable aren't worth it. Mine had so much freebore it was ludicrous. Check the sniper crowd at http://www.snipercountry.com and they have the same beef. One guy with a new 700PSS in 308 found he needed a 168gr Sierra loaded to an OAL of 2.94" to have the bullet touch the rifling! Keep in mind he knew it couldn't be done...darned brass isn't long enough. Normal SAMMI max OAL is 2.800". Now I did get mine to shoot sub MOA but it was the longest load development in over 30 years of handloading.

On the other hand my 10FP shoots 0.35" out of the box with factory and handloaded moly 168 and 175 loads. I replaced the Remington trigger and may do the same with the Savage. I've ordered a replacement stock too. The Savage has an advantage for possible switch barrel use with it's easy changeout vis-a-vis the 700VS. I'm thinking about having a 6.5-284 barrel made up to switch out with my factory 308. Now that's a setup!!!

-=[Bob]=-

Back