Rem 700 vs Browning A bolt

R&H

I was wondering how the browning A-bolt compares to the Remington 700 Mountain Rifle. I will probably get a 25-06 and was wondering which might be more accurate out of the box. I like the fit off the Browning but have heard a lot about the legendary accuracy of the Rem 700. I have a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 right now and have never shot a group smaller than 1.5 inches, even when using Supreme ammuntion and a good bench with a good rest. Would either of these other guns possibly do any better.

Stock configuration of the A-Bolt, please?

The A-Bolts are getting quite a reputation, especially with the new BOSS system (though I'd definitely get the kind without the muzzle break!). I read a recent review of the 700 Mountain Rifle that said it was a nice rifle, but needed bedding in the WORST way. No big deal; bedding is not too hard to do yourself, nor too expensive to have your favorite gunsmith do for you. Expect a trigger job with either; factory triggers just don't seem to cut it, these days. Nice thing is, they both sport adjustable triggers.

Frankly, I'd have to just hold them, compare the features, and decide then, with my heart. You really aren't going to lose with either one. Just understand that the Mountain Rifle, while it is a M-700, is NOT going to be capable of the same groups as my M-700 Sendero SF. Hey, I get something for lugging all that weight around with me! :) :) :)

Sometimes I think the deciding is the best part! But also the load-development and sight-in and scoping and action work. It's all a wonderful honeymoon, following the courting ritual that you're in now.

Be sure and tell us the name of your new "bride." (Okay, raise your hand if you feel that metaphor has gone on long enough...?!!)

Back