Rem 700 varmint .308

DubC-Hicks

My local sporting goods store has some on sale for $450. They have the camo stock and the 26" bull barrel with matte finish. I am looking to get into long range shooting, and I was wondering if they are any good. I am probably going to pick one up tomorrow and I would like to hear what you guys have to say about them before I do. Thanks in advance.

Great price! - too bad none in my area

That will be a great starter rifle - lots of mods to trick it out. First thing is to get rid of the cheap stock and get a decent drop in one. That'll improve the accuracy right of the bat... Don't forget a decent scope money can buy too - get something name brand Leupold would be first choice - great optics. You can't go wrong.

See this review about the rifle:
http://www.snipercentral.com/remspsv.htm

Hope that helps!

Yeah, that's what I figured. It comes with a boresighted 4-12x40 scope. It has the Remington R on it, but I think it's made by simmons, so I will need a new scope. I was thinking about a Hogue or Bell and Carlson stock. Do the factory stocks allow for a free floated barrel? It actually doesn't feel too bad. So should I go ahead and pick one of these rifles up?

Check the action & trigger make sure both are smooth before you spend your money comming back might not be in your favor.:eek:

Before you start "gimmicking" the rifle up, why not just see if it shoots. Then spend the money on ammo down range. I bet it shoots better then you think.

I bought that rifle last year at Dick's except inbthe ADL version. It shoots .59moa in the factory stock.

I have that same rifle in .223. It is a great shooter, even with the factory stock and ammo (.75 inch @ 100 yards). It would do even better with a better stock and handloads (I have the dies, just haven't had the time to work up the loads). Also, the scope will work but it is definitely not awesome. I would use it until you can afford a better one (I like Leupold and NightForce).

I have one of these Dick's 700 SPS-Varmint specials.
With good handloads it runs about 2.8-2.9" at 300yds in the included stock with the included scope mounts,but with a Nikon Buckmaster scope attached. The included "Remington" mystery maker scope isn't too bad for what you pay,either. I have it on a 30/30 now,IIRC.

I went ahead and got one in .308. It shoots pretty good. .75"-1" groups at about 100 yds. It is the ADL. I really like it a lot. I'm not a fan of the cheap scope, but it's good enough for now. I also like the idea of a new stock that allows for the free floating barrel. I found the Choate Ultimate sniper stock for $200. Are these any good?

This rifle will probably shoot fine as is. If you're going into this "deal" with the idea of upgrading the rifle soon, why not just consider something like the Rem 700 5-R Milspec? For around $950 you get an extremely accurate rifle on an H-S Precision Stock. Stocks are in the $300-$400 range and an upgrade trigger will be another $125 or so.

I have the 5-R Milspec in .308 and it is still in "out of the box" condition (no mods). It shoots dime sized groups at 100 yards every day. At 300 yards I have shot groups as small as 3/4" (on a very still, no wind day).

Just a thought.

Back