REM 700 trigger adjustment

ERRainman

I am looking for a good source for info on the REM 700 trigger adjustment, as well as bolt removal. Any other REM 700 info appreciated also. I have a REM 700 in .30-06 that I will be replacing both the barrel and stock on in the near future, so those comments are also welcome

Just looked at the sites mentioned above. I don't agree with the close adjustment mentioned in the latter site for engagement. This is very critical, and should be left alone.

Unfortunately, the advice to take the job to a gunsmith is probably outdated. Few smiths today will touch a trigger, since the liability is simply too high. Anyone who adjusts his/her rifle trigger also faces a higher risk if an accident happens. The argument will be that the person who changed the trigger created an unsafe condition and thereby caused the accident.

BTW, Remington 700 bolt removal is by pushing up on the little tab in front of the trigger.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited July 23, 1999).]

As one who took the "how to adjust your trigger of your Rem 700" off a web site and tried it, I can only say for me the directions didn't quite work but they explained enough so even I finally got the trigger I wanted, don't know if it was me or the directions, probably me. Having some knowledge of how the trigger works is a must I think, you don't have to be a gunsmith, just basics.
The directions I think stated to slam the bolt closed about a dozed (several?) times to make sure it wouldn't fire, I would add to bounce the gun stock down a couple of times on a rug as a additional test. Good luck.

Up until about ten years ago, I adjusted Remington 700 triggers using the technique described in the Rec.guns FAQ, without any problem. Two of those guns were mine...one has held its 30-oz. trigger pull for several thousand rounds and over 35 years; the other for 20. However, it's my understanding that Remington recently modified their 700 trigger housings to make it impossible to reduce the pull to this or comparable level. Looks like if you buy a new Remington, your only solution for a decent trigger action will be aftermarket replacement.

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

Shakespear had it right however many hundred years ago - in one of his plays, one of his characters says "Kill all the lawyers." Evidently, they had trouble with the greedy ambulence chasers back then too.

Back