Rem 700 Triger ?

JLK

I was at a gun show this weekend looking at a Remington 700
sps tactical. It had an ajustable trigger. I have herd the olt 700
trigers had problems . Is this new trigger better or should it be
replaced if I were to get one of these rifles?

I have herd the olt 700 trigers had problems .

Everyone has heard that. Google is your friend. Some folks have had problems with the Walker trigger, but the ones I've had showed nary a problem.

Is this new trigger better or should it be replaced if I were to get one of these rifles?

I dunno. That's up to you. What do you consider a good trigger?

I have an older model 700 ( 1976 or so vintage ) as well as a newer one that is about 4 years old.

No problem with the triggers at all. I did have the trigger worked on for the 700P to make it lighter and more crisp.

I like both rifles a lot.

Geetarman:D

I love my Rem 700's - however all 3 of them had the trigger done before leaving the gun store, as it inevitably tightens up my groups....and I'm not a big fan of the stock trigger - adjustable or not.

Just my $0.02

My son picked up a Remington 700 and it has the X-Mark trigger on it. I think it'll do just fine for a hunting rifle, it breaks crisp at just under 4 lbs. If you are looking for a lighter trigger pull you may have to have a custom trigger installed.

Any pre 2007 trigger could discharge without pulling the trigger. The chances of it happening are very slim, but very real. The new trigger is far less likely to do so. I haven't owned one of the newer guns, but reports I've read indicate that there are lots of problems. Some get a good one, others have had issues. If I wanted a Remington I'd factor in the cost of a new trigger into my budget just in case.

I actually own one of the guns that has discharged without pulling the trigger, but that alone would not prevent me from buying a Remington 700 if I saw one I liked. But They haven't made anything I have liked in years.

I posted a negative comment about a 700 trigger in a different thread.
To update, I tried the trigger on a new model 700 and it was just fine. Nothing at all like the trigger on the older model I previously fired.

New X-Mark Pro triggers work fine. Mine went down to 3 lbs. just like they said it would. And breaks crisp and nice.

I'd say that's a matter of opinion and not a shared sentiment. My X-Pro was inconsistant and needed constant adjustment, but I also want a 2-2.5lb pull, no more. Remington's triggers are a long way from being even good but they aren't aweful either.

With my trigger pull scale mine is consistent. The X-Mark Pro trigger is good enough for a hunting rifle. If you're talking target triggers then it's a different world.

Must be the some good, some bad scenario that is found with Remington these days. After about 100 rounds mine became inconsistant and wouldn't stay adjusted. Broke the gun down and cleaned everything, same results. I replaced it with a Timney and haven't looked back. Gave it to a buddy of mine that wanted to tinker with one and he's had the same results and issues. Same thing happened to my neighbor's son's .308.

Maybe it was trying to lighten it too much but I'm accustomed to a 2-2.5lb trigger on all of my hunting rifles. Just a personal preference. I'd probably want it heavier if I had to wear gloves or hunt really cold climates though. As it is, the worst thing I have to deal with hunting is mosquito bites, not frostbite.

There was nothing wrong with Mr. Walker's trigger design . Problems arose when Remington began changing the components of the trigger with parts made from inferior (cheaper) materials . This started around 1970 , when Mr. Walker retired from Remington , I'm told . People are killed and injured from unsafe gun handling , not anything mechanical !

The Remington trigger problems stared in 1945. There were thousands of incidents reported long before 1970. Mike Walker discovered the problem in 1945 before the first of the 721's ever hit the market. He developed a replacment trigger at that time and urged Remington mangement to change out the triggers to his revised design. The new trigger cost $.05 more and would have required guns already built to be retrofitted before leaving the factory. Remington management declined.

Blah... Blah... Blah! The problem with the Remington trigger you've heard about are purely operator error! Stupidity on the part of the person holding the rifle, or dropping the rifle, or pointing a loaded rifle in an unsafe direction, or using a rifle in which the trigger was either improperly adjusted or is old and cruddy.

The X-Mark Pro IMHO is a piece of crap!

Lately 40X triggers have been showing up in various models of Remington bolt guns. THAT is a good trigger. If the trigger you saw is black and has an adjustment screw near the bolt release above the trigger it's a 40X trigger.

Good story but the X-Mark Pro isn't the trigger in question. There has NEVER been a documented malfunction of an X-Mark Pro. The X-Mark Pro is supposed to be the "fix"...

I'm sure somewhere down the line I'll stick a Timney in mine. I just don't see an urgent need now. A Timney (or Jewel etc etc) are just so nice.

"Blah... Blah... Blah! The problem with the Remington trigger you've heard about are purely operator error! Stupidity on the part of the person holding the rifle, or dropping the rifle, or pointing a loaded rifle in an unsafe direction, or using a rifle in which the trigger was either improperly adjusted or is old and cruddy."

My model 700 Classic in .338 went off twice when I flicked off the safety. Factory, unadjusted trigger. I do have several other 700's that have never malfunctioned but is a real problem.

Back