rem 700 synthetic stock...

jbcricket

i've got a stainless rem 700 in 338 ultra mag, it has the cheap factory plastic stock on it and i'm looking to get something better. I dont wanna go with something super expensive like a mcmillan or manners simply cause i dont plan on upgrading the barrel right now. I'm thinking about a bell $ Carlson or possibly a hogue with full block bedding. What do you guys recommend?

I love my Hogue

I replaced the factory stock on my M-70 Winchester with a Hogue and shrunk the groups in half. I went with the cheaper model (pillar bedding only) and am very satisfied.

You can get a McMillan for $438.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

Save the trouble and headaches and just do it right the first time. There is another guy here who tried to save money with a cheap Boyds laminated stock. He paid $140 for the stock, wasted $75-$100 in ammo, is now paying a gunsmith $140 to try get it to shoot straight. Not counting wasted time and range trips. He still doesn't know if it will shoot.

If you can't justify that money the B&C isn't bad at around $215 or so

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-33/medalist-aluminum-bedding-block/Detail

The B&C or Hogue with the full bedding blocks are probably about the same price and would probably be equal in shooting, but both are very heavy. With the Hogue being lots heavier and not nearly as good feeling. I'm not a huge fan of either, but would go B&C 10:1 over a Hogue. Especially on this gun where a little weight may not be a bad thing.

If you are handy with a few tools, and don't mind doing a little final fitting, attaching your own recoil pad and painting the stock yourself look at one of these.

www.hightech-specialties.com

For around $290, you get a real quality synthetic. They are just as well made as a McMillan or Manners. But give you the opprotunity to save money by doing some of the work yourself. If you order them finished, or pay a gunsmith to finish them for you, the McMillan works out cheaper.

I've done a couple of these with good results. It ain't rocket science.

Save the trouble and headaches and just do it right the first time. There is another guy here who tried to save money with a cheap Boyds laminated stock. He paid $140 for the stock, wasted $75-$100 in ammo, is now paying a gunsmith $140 to try get it to shoot straight. Not counting wasted time and range trips. He still doesn't know if it will shoot.

If you can't justify that money the B&C isn't bad at around $215 or so

I wasn't trying to save money! I WANTED a laminated stock! :D

Back