Rem 700 SS Light Varmint .223 Rem - Primer Cratering

Picher

My "used" 700 craters primers, but they don't back out at all. I've read all about 700s having too much gap around the firing pin, but mine seems to fit well.

I sent the rifle to an authorized "Remington Repair Center" and they claimed that it has excessive headspace, saying that the action closed on a "NO-GO" gauge. I don't believe that, since fired cases fit easily into two other rifles, a new Rem 700 ADL and a Tikka 595. Primers are not flattened or backed-out at all. My reloads are near the bottom of recommended loads.

Firing pin protrusion is slightly longer than it's supposed to be, but would that cause the problem?

Thanks for your consideration.

Yes, too much firing pin protrusion can cause a problem with primers, but I would also recommend checking the headspace.

A no-go gauge only shows that the headspace is at the end of the acceptable amount for a gun, but not necessarily dangerous to shoot. If it will close on it, it could be off, but checking it with a field gauge will tell you if it is dangerous to shoot. However, if it is new, it really should not close on a no-go gauge. New guns have a headspace amount somewhere between a go-gauge and a no-go. If a bolt will close on a no-go gauge at the factory, then it is supposed to be pulled and refitted.

Major causes of primer cratering are over sized firing pin hole and over pressured loads. How tight is your rifle's firing pin hole? How protrusion does the pin have?

Excessive headspace can cause flattened, or pierced, primers. Don't think it causes cratering. Besides you hand load. You should be sizing your brass to fit your chamber already, so headspace shouldn't be issue.

I have seen or heard people checking headspace incorrectly with gauges. For instance, the no-go gauge. If there is any felt resistance, even the bolt can be forced to close, the gun should pass. Also the extractor and ejector should be removed for the tests. That's quite some doing in Remington 700. You sure the smith really did all that?

-TL

I took my 700 LV SS to a very good Maine gunsmith and we found that the bolt closed hard on the NO-GO gauge, but not at all on the FIELD gauge.

I also brought my very NEW Rem 700 ADL, with only about 50 rounds fired through it, and had EXACTLY THE SAME RESULTS!! Fired cases also fit both rifles with the same bolt closure force.

The factory ammo fired in the rifle showed no signs of cratering. Therefore, it's not a headspace issue, so I'll be buying some harder primers and try that.

It's really okay. I always size for the chamber of a rifle, but am lucky that all three can use the same sizer setting.

JP

Fired the rifle yesterday with some handloads that used CCI Magnum primers and there was NO cratering (or any other problems). It's a mild load, and could be increased safely.

The perceived problem was probably just a batch of soft CCI Standard primers.

Thanks for the comments. This perceived problem appears to be solved.

John P.

I've had obviously cratered, but not flattened primers in my .308 from low loads. Most 700s have too much wiggle room in the bolt-face. With a well developed load it does not crater. Not an issue... stay away from the extremes.
Of course it doesn't help that different sources don't agree on what those are... Sierra vs Hodgdon vs Lee... etc. I usually look for the lowest charge on all available sources and take an average.

I have a very soft load for my .308 with 150 Speer BTS (38.5gr of 3031) which are shooting one inch groups at 200 yards. Sometimes that's where the sweetest spot can be found.

-SS-

Back