Rem 700 sps vs. sps tactical

Sphawley

I'm interested in buying this weapon, Whats the differences and advantages between the two versions?

I'm looking to possibly do some long range shooting, maybe around 700+ yards.

Insight and opinions?

Well I definetly dont think I will ever really go past that...but who knows, I want something in the 700yd area...

The main difference between the two is the barrel thickness. The standard SPS has a thinner barrel diameter as opposed to the Tactical Model which has heavy-contour barrel, as does the SPS Varmint Model (you want the heavy barrel).

The main differences between the SPS-T and SPS-V are:
• 20" bbl. vs. 26" bbl.
• Oxide finish vs. painted finish
• Houge stock vs. plastic stock
• $600+ vs. $500+

I went ahead and bought a SPS-V for $525 on sale, upgraded the cheap stock to a Bell & Carlson A2 $225, bedded a Ken Farrell 20 MOA base along with TPS TSR rings $180, and a Nikon Monarch 6-24X50 scope $400. Nothing really fancy, but good enough to learn the long distance stuff with. Once the barrell is shot out, I'll replace it with a custom job, which will hopefully match my improved shooting skills, lol.

The differences between the two (Tactical/Varmint) are negligible imo, although the 20" bbl. is nice.

RiflePics022-1.jpg

RiflePics024-1.jpg

Last edited:
I went with the SPS Tactical, and couldn't be happier. Added a Manners T4 and a Leupold. (It's the one on the bottom, the other is a cut down 700P).

P5230001.jpg

DSC_0552.jpg

700SPSGroup.jpg

700SPSGroup2.jpg

Back