Rem 700 SPS Tactical

TDK

I am not sure if I can do this on here, and if not I will delete it. Does anyone have a used 700 SPS Tactical for sale? Looking for a .308 or .223.

I have searched for a while and it seems like this gun is a good one for the money.

I have a certain price I can spend on a rifle/scope and if I can get a used SPS Tac lightly used I would put the extra money in an optic.

Thanks

Aaron

Last edited:
Hi. An SPS is the current name for a Rem 700 ADL. The term 'tactical' is a marketing thing only.
Anyway, there's one on GunAmerica, the guy(a dealer) wants $549.95, BNIB. MSRP is $734. Cabela's wants $589.99.
Haunting the gun shows and your local shops would be you best bet.

A sps tactical and an adl are not the same weapons at all. First, the sps has a hinged floorplate similar to a bdl where the adl does not. Second, the sps tactical is a heavy barrel weapon, and Ive only seen adls with sporter weight barrels. Third, the sps tactical has 1-9 twist 20 inch barrel, sps varmint has 1-12 twist 24 or 26 inch barrel. The stocks are also different on the tactical vs. varmint.

"...not the same weapons at all..." Remington dropped the ADL and replaced it with the SPS. The SPS is Remington's current entry level rifle. 'SPS' stands for 'Special Purpose Synthetic'. It's an M700 with a different stock and finish. Nothing more.
"Built to carry on the tradition of the Model 700™ ADL™ Synthetic"
"...The tactical comes with a Hogue stock and 20" barrel..." And? Nothing tactical about a synthetic stock and a 20" barrel. The Rem 742 and 788 came in .308 with an 18.5" barrel, at one time. Neither was called 'tactical'.
There's no such thing as a tactical anything. It's a marketing buzz word only. The marketing term used to be 'law enforcement'. Winchester made an M70A Police. Oiled stock, black phosphated steel. Mossberg made a phosphated, M500 with a 20" barrel, 8 shot mag and it took an M16 bayonet. Marketed as a riot gun. And surprise, Remington makes a 20", .308, 700P LTR with an an H-S Precision composite stock too. Same rifle with different bedding.

There's no such thing as a tactical anything.

Negative...again. :) I would consider the L96 a tactical rifle. The L96 bolt was designed with ports along with a front action bridge which allows high-pressure gases to escape through it’s ports incase of cartridge case head failure. Also this keeps the bolt from “freezing up” in even the coldest atmospheric conditions. Along with a folding AI stock for carrying purposes. Even the R700P I would consider a tactical rifle. The HS-Precision stock is designed to keep the same dimensions in colder conditions. Little things like this are an example (to me) of rifles designed for special purposes and I would consider tactical.

"...The tactical comes with a Hogue stock and 20" barrel..." And? Nothing tactical about a synthetic stock and a 20" barrel.

That wasn't the point. You were explaining there wasn't a difference between the two rifles and there is. Stock, twist, and length of barrel are three elements that differ.

I found one I am picking up tomorrow. It is a 700 SPS Tactical .308 with Bell & Carlson Medallion tactical stock and 6rnd detachable magazine.
Havent made up my mind yet on optic, but the guy is offering a Sightron SII 3-12x42 with Mil-Dot reticles+Leupold PRW rings and mount for an extra $200

And just for T. O' Heir I will call it a 700 SPS Heavy 20" Barrel .308Win.

Last edited:
I am buying the gun with no scope for $600, this does include the B & C Medallion stock and detachable 6rnd mag.

If I do the scope/ring deal it is $800.

The scope is not currently on it, but I have mounted dozens.

Did I do good for my first "nice" rifle? Seemed like a fair deal...

Sounds like a good deal with the bell stock, and possibly a great deal with the detachable mag. Some of those mag kits are 2 or 3 hundred dollars I think.

Well I was wrong about the mag. It is just a 2rnd extension trap door.

I was at the range like two hours after getting it today to sight it in and shoot a group. Got it sighted in and the last three shot group was 1". This was in the first 20rnds(I only bought a box). Ammo was Hornady Custom 150gr

The only thing I dont like is the eye relief on the scope, its kind of short. But it is very clear and bright.

Last edited:
IMG_4389.jpg

The below is my "remington 700 SPS tactical .308 win" that does 2 1/2 inch groups at 1000 yards. Stick shoots corbon 168 grain PM BTHP. Want proof, then email me for the video of me doing so. And it is stock, no custom work done to it. although I do own a .223 of the same and it it horrible. tried all ammo under the sun and can't find anything. even tried reloading. is easily within remington's 2 inch group minimum at 100 yards but that is not my standard. Every gun is different. This is why my .223 sps tactical is up for sale. sorry for the date being upside down, but the lighting at this time of night? this was the only way to make the camera work right.

8ec802bf86.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

You wanna see a real stick, then look at my next reply in just a few minutes. I have to put it together. :p

The below is my "remington 700 SPS tactical .308 win" that does 2 1/2 inch groups at 1000 yards. Stick shoots corbon 168 grain PM BTHP. Want proof, then email me for the video of me doing so. And it is stock, no custom work done to it.

2 1/2" measured group or 2 1/2 MOA? Box stock rifle? That is pretty incredible, seeing that this "http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2007/07/09/sarver-shoots-1403-group-at-1000-yards/" seems to be a big deal.

I would like to see your video. Please send a PM.

Back