Rem 700 sps tactical vs varmint. 223

Dizzo

Inactive
Hey folks

Ive been an avid pistol shooter for a few years. I've decided I'd like to get into something with more distance. My range only goes to 300y so I'm thinking .223 would be a good choice. This rifle will never shoot at anything but paper. I've been looking at the rem 700 sps. The varmint model has a 26" barrel. I like that, but it comes in a 1:12 twist. That limits me to lighter rounds. The tactical has a 1:9 twist so I can use larger rounds but a 20" barrel so I loose the extra velocity.
In that 100 -300y range I'm not sure which factor I should weigh more.
Any input would be appreciated

I'd go with the shorter barrel and the 1 in 9 twist. Giving up a little bullet speed is no big deal, and the faster twist will let you shoot a wider assortment of bullets.

As for your rifle choices, I'll suggest considering a Tikka T3 with the varmint barrel. It'll shoot great and not need upgrades. I have one in 260, with a #4 contour barrel, and it's the easiest rifle to shoot tiny groups with that I have or have ever had.

I have more 700s than any other rifle, but I agree, there are better choices now. Savage, Ruger, Tikka, CZ, Weatherby all make good .223 bolt guns that I would consider over the 700.

Short barrel and faster twist is fine. I shoot 16" fast twist .223s out to 600 on a regular basis. But the 1:9 is the slowest twist I would consider.

The Ruger American (in .223) is 1:8 and it is a great shooter. I have been very impressed with them.

100-300 yard shooting just for punching paper is a no-brainer. Go with the 12 twist...it will shoot any bullet suitable for those ranges. The extra velocity from the 26" tube is just a bonus and since you won't be lugging it around the added weight is irrelevant except for helping with recoil reduction.

But if you go with a Savage you can get a heavy barreled 9 twist that is 26" long....that will help out if you have longer shooting opportunities.

If it's strictly target shooting vs hunting the 1 in 9 will very likely be a bit better due to the great availability of match grade bullets in the heavier weights. The lighter weights are sort of limited to 52 or 53 grains. MatchKings and A-Maxes. Assuming you're reloading already. Change of dies and shell holder plus some powder and primers.
You need to remember that an SPS is an entry level hunting rifle, not a target rifle.
Think in terms of how serious you want to get with target shooting with a .223. Or do you think you'll be hunting varmint or deer? Rifling twist will matter then, but not so much for paper.

Thanks for the pointers!
I guess I was looking at the 700 because I've always heard of them being the gold standard. I do want a bbl. I'm looking to do this build, including glass and rings etc for under 1k. I think that means a tikka is out.
I have decided on a 9 or faster twist.

If you are doing a build, then the 700 is a good option, but it won't be under $1K, add glass and rings on top of that. The factory Remington guns (and QC) have been a bit spotty in the last several years.

I'd look hard at the Ruger American with maybe a Burris MSR optic and have money left over for ammo.

Ya, I think I'm going to rethink my budget. I checked out that tikka t3 varmint and I really like it. Can't seem to find it anywhere so I have time to scratch some more money together :)

Back