Rem. 700 sps tactical....long range

JROD82

Inactive
I'm in the market for a bolt gun in 308. I'm dead set on the Rem. 700 SPS Tactical. I can read all day long about people shooting 100-200 yds with the 20" but i'm curious to know if it can reach out to say longer distance up to 800-1000 yds. Everything I've read so far is that it is very accurate out to 100-200 yds. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

For whatever it is worth a few months back I saw a couple of guys shooting 600 and 800 with theirs up at the range. One had a after market trigger installed, the other was brand new and he was using a scope borrowed from his buddy. They were doing some pretty good shooting with them, dunno how much was the shooters and how much was the guns

It is capable out to a grand; I'll never have the opportunity around here, but searching will yield a couple good hits on the 700 SPS going out that far, and doing it well. I can attest that it's a half minute rifle with the right ammo; as such, you just gotta be holding your mouth right when you send one off.

Never found a long enough range to test it, but my 700sps (24" barrel .308) can turn bout a 1" -2" group at 100m. Quick beer math on this one says it'll hit beteeen 8" and 16" at 800m. thats consistent with the "man-sized-target" concept (not headshots, but .308 kills with bodyshots anyway)
Again havent found a long enough range, but always wanted to try.

A 20" barrel is a 20" barrel. Yes, they are capable of shooting 800+. There should be a fair amount of data/ dope available for 20" guns.

I have two Remington 'tacticals'... One is a 20" SPS Tac and the other is a 700P that is cut back to 16" and suppressed. Either of them is infinitely more handy than a 26" gun and they are both capable of very good accuracy out as far as I have to shoot, which is 600 yards.

Last edited:
The 20" barreled .308 SPS Tactical provides sufficient velocity for long range shooting.

It is also supposed to be a very accurate length for the .308 cartridge.

I have one an SPS Tactical in .223 20" and its a decent rifle given its modest price.

I have a Rem. 700 LTR 308 cal. 20" brl. Up to 500 yards great . But for longer ranges check out the 700 P. Good luck & be SAFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPwXOUxCiGE

18" and 20" are both fine for 1000yds. It's just a matter of keeping it supersonic. So you will want to handload unless you want to pay 35$ for Cor-bon which i know frank is shooting in this video. He's getting enough obviously. Another thing to considering is that usually custom barrels have a higher velocity draw off same loads. There are several people running 44gr of varget like i am with a 175gr bullet, sure different conditions but varget isn't too temp sensitive. Anyway they're getting around 50fps more on average of what i've seen. I get 2600fps, 45 is max. I feel i should be getting more. I would get it, try it out, and probably rebarrel to a 20" Bartlein. Thats just me, have a tighter bore to squeeze even more out of it.

Might want to check out the 20" 5R. I've yet to see a 5R that wont shoot and they should be around the same price.

This isn't great or anything but i shot this at 225 in 11mph crosswind. The ones on the right are me adjusting according to wind gust.

33woe4k.jpg

Last edited:
Back