Rem 700 SPS Tactical 20" 308

I just want to do a little braggin on my new rifle. I have owned it for only 2-3 weeks and I already know it my most accurate rifle. This will be my main deer rifle and also serve as a target rifle. I really like the 20" bull barrel, makes it easy to manuever the gun (here in GA, the woods are thick so a long barrel is awkward). Plus, I really like short barrel guns when trying to climb up into those tiny tree stands.
P1010859.JPG
Anyway, the gun has a Zeiss 3-9X40. The gun was shooting a little over 1MOA with Federal 150gr Powershocks. After collecting some fired brass, I neck sized some rounds of Sierra Gamekings 165gr with IMR4895 and shot some 1.75" 5 shot groups at 200yards. Here's a target with 40.5gr on left and 40.5gr on the right. I can probably load it a little hotter and keep the accuracy.
P1010855.JPG

Trigger is nice. I haven't even adjusted it any. Recoil is very low due to its Hogue stock and heavier weight. The only problem I can find with the gun is the bolt sometimes doesn't want to pick up the next round from the magazine. Anybody else have this gun?

That should be a shooter for quite a while dude... sounds cool! That would make a BA truck rifle! Also work that bolt like you mean it. it'll pick them up if it's cycled completely each time!

Thanks for coming!:cool:

Last edited:
Just bought my 17 year old son his first rifle last weekend. At the shop owner's recommendation, the Rem 700 VTR in .223, with a Bushnell 2400 5-15 scope.

I'm really impressed with the gun; but hell I'm a newb (that's why I asked the shop owner what to buy!) so what do I know;)

Getting real close to having it "right". He's never shot before- and was shooting 1-2 MOA at 100 yds at the end of the day; and she's not even broken in.

I told him I was buying him his own gun so we could have some quality father/son time with some target competition. I don't stand a chance with my Mini- so I told hime to fuhgedaboutit:o

Last edited:
Nice,

I have a Rem 700 BDL in 243 it shoots sub one inch at a hundred yards,,,,havent shot 200 yds yet. I plan on sending it to a smith when the barrel is toast an have them scew a match grade hunting barrel on it in .308

Sweet!! A guy I used to work with had one of those. I myself have the 26" barreled SPS Varmint.

I don't shoot varmint's ironically. Just wanted the long bull barrel for a long range target gun. It's excellent. Wears a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x 50mm scope and a bipod, harris of course.

Best performance so far has been with Hornady 168 Gr Match bullets, pushed by Varget.

Enjoy the new rifle!!

DSC01408.jpg

I have the same rifle. Your groups are OK but, the rifle is capable of much more. I would urge you to get rid of the Hogue tupperware stock. For a few extra dollars you can pick up an HS Precision or Bell & Carlson aluminum bedded stock and you will be amazed at the difference.

Ihave done a few things to mine. Harris bipod, HS Precision stock, trigger change (old Remy pre 2004 trigger - 2lbs.), EGW 0 MOA picatinny rail, custom bolt knob, and Wyatt detachable mag & bottom metal. I am waiting for my new scope, a WoTac 4X14X50.

In the mean time, with my back up scope and cheapo Russian ammo:

DSC02187.jpg

This rifle is a tack driver once it gets a decent stock:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Good luck with your new Remy 700SPS TAC!:o

LOVE IT

I bought one in early may and yes it is a great gun for the money. I have had really good luck with IMR 4895 and also H-varget powder and Nosler custom competition bullets, Hornady A-max and sierra gamekings, Barnes tipped triple shock(SO basically anything you try shoots real straight. Once you get used to it you can easily shoot the same hole at 100 yards. I have a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 on mine and love it. Its going to be my go to deer gun this fall. Great gun and i would recommend it to anybody.

I haven't heard of a bad 20" SPS Tactical yet... Mine is also a great rifle. I will second the advice of changing stocks, I went with a Manners T4 on mine, but it was shooting great even with the Hogue. Congrats on a great rifle!

(Mine loves Federal GMM so far and I haven't even really started fooling with handloads yet.)

I guess this is a pretty popular rifle. Yeah, everybody that posts anything on the 700 SPS has been a good review. I keep hearing about Remington ain't what it used to be, blah blah blah, but for the money it is hard to beat. I agree that the rifles that Remington produced 20 years ago were nicer, but they were also a lot more expensive. I have a Model 7 6mm that is about 20 years old that is really nice, jewelled bolt, sweet trigger, nice stock and finish, but it just won't shoot under 1MOA. I was a bit hesitant with this new rifle, but it shoots really nice.

Yeah, I am sure it will tighten up its groups. I have only tried one bullet. I have about 6 other bullets to try out and about 3 more powders. Plus, my shooting skills need improvement. Drinking a 20oz coffee doesn't help. Also, hearing wasps and bees all around me in my amplified ear muffs doesn't help either.

The Zeiss scope is pretty nice. I really like the 4" eye relief. The image is crystal clear at all ranges. I have cheaper scopes that you have to focus at different ranges that are not very useful for hunting when you have only a few seconds to get the shot off. Also, I really like the cross hairs size. My other scopes seem to be either too thick or too thin. The best thing about the scope is the low light transmission. For hunting, it is worth the extra money to get that extra 15 minutes of light. That's when the bucks come out in the open.

for 308 try imr 3031 39.1 grains with 168 hornady's very accurate in any 308
that shot them. my Savage put 10 shots in one hole with this load.

I have the SPS V, but I put mine in a Bell&Carlson Medalist A3 and it made a huge difference. It was sub MOA out of the box, but the new stock made a good rifle even better. Mine really likes 168 SMK's with 41.5grs. 4064. I also load the civilian version of MLR 118; 175SMK's, 43.5 RL-15, FED 210M primers in LC brass out to 2.820 OAL. The rifle seems to like that very well. Also load the 165 GK's with 41.5 IMR 4895 and it shoots that very well. Come to think of it, it shoots every round I've loaded pretty well. Yours, because of its shorter barrel should be capable of extremely tight groups @ 100. Enjoy.

Back