Rem 700 SPS in 300 win mag

Good evening fine folk,

I have a Remington 700 SPS in 300 win mag and am having trouble keeping the rifle on the ground. The recoil isn't painful per say but the thin profile barrel is giving it an almost uncontrollable jump when fired. I was wondering if there is any way to thread the barrel to install a muzzle brake? Hopefully one day, I will install a heavier barrel but for now this option is more economical. Thanks!!

Thanks for the info I'm looking at many reviews on the 300 win mag.I do own a new SPS in 30-06 and am no seeing the jump you speak of.Im not sure what to put under my new VX6 just yet but it's getting lonely.

It's a thin profile barrel. My main question is can a gunsmith thread the barrel for a muzzle brake? I also have dropped the charge ive been loading in order to possibly bring the recoil back under control.

The 300 mag comes with a magnum contour barrel, it is already heavier than a standard barrel. They put the thin barrel contour on the Mountain Rifle, and it isn't chambered in 300 mag. I'm sure it could be threaded for a brake. But the cost of having the work done plus buying a brake will cost about what the rifle is worth. People shoot those all the time with no issues, this is just normal when you start shooting 180 gr bullets at 3000 fps.

You might find it is money better spent to sell/trade it to finance something with less recoil, blast and muzzle jump. I have nothing against any of the various magnum rounds, but A 308 will generate 1/2 the recoil and no animal inside of 400 yards will ever know the difference. The 300 magnums don't start showing any advantages until you start shooting at game over 600 yards. If you have the skills to hit game at 600+ then the 300 mag is a good choice for you. If not step down to something smaller until you can.

OdinsRightHandm, You have about 2" more barrel than non mag SPS and less than 1/2 lb in weight. The SPS stock is pretty light.

Yes, you can have brake put on. I change stock on mine as I knew at some point I was going to rebarrel which I did little early.

You might want to talk to gunsmith about that factory stock using it going with different contour barrel.

Measure the muzzle.
It it is .562" or larger it's easy to cut the threads for 9/16X24. If it's .625" or larger you can have it cut for 5/8X24. Both are industry standard threads for rifle muzzles.

Thanks so much folks!! I have decided to upgrade the barrel. I know the 300 shines at 600 yds plus, and that is what i love about the round. I appreciate the input from all of you!

Could the stock be the problem? Getting an aftermarket stock that fits you better (and that's heavier with a better recoil pad) might solve the problem. The recoil is going to exist regardless of the barrel profile (although a heavier barrel may mitigate recoil). Just something to think about. The brake will make it hella-loud.

Back