Rem 700 recoil pad

Dave P

I am considering adding some weights in the stock of my VSSF 308, but I don't know about the recoil pad. Is this just glued on, or is it something fancier?

Any problems adding a pound or so of lead in drilled holes in the stock? This is to reduce recoil on the bench.

Thanks
Dave

I can't be sure without seeing it, but recoil pads are usually screwed on. The screws go through the rubber, which, being elastic, fills in the holes and makes it difficult to see them.

Jim

Dave, the VSSF having a synthetic stock, has screw bosses inside it. The newer pads from remington are "stepped" to fit inside the stock and sit flush with the outside. These stocks are also hollow so you won't have to drill/bore any holes. You might think about a small bag of shot for your extra weight or maybe one of the recoil reducers that hang from the barrel might be the way to go. George

Thanks

OK, good data. I will look hard for the screws tonite - they sure are not obvious to the casual observer! So I can remove the pad as offten as I want to (within reason)?

Isn't the Pachmeyer pad used on the LTR models - I have one of those too, and it feels great!

Thanks for the help!
Dave

Pads & Screws

Well guys, I looked at both my LTR and VSSF, and their ain't no screws!

I will call Remington and see what they have to say.

Thanks!

Back