Rem 700 problem?

speedyjerry

There was a special on tv a month back about "all the problems" with the 700 snipers have, when they take the safety off the gun shoots, people have been accidently killed.

It was quite a lengthly special, all these years I have never heard any complaints about those fine rifles.

Was / is this some political conspiracy or blackmail attempt by a disgruntled employee or is there something factual to it?

Anyone know? :confused:

Thank you, I first did a search above and came up with nothing for it.

My question got answered, Mods feel free to delete or lock.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Been beat to death for years. There have been special programs aired about this since the 1970's.

The problem is very much real. But very rare. It can happen, I've seen it. I've known about the problem for 30 years and have actually had it happen, but still own Remington rifles.

Remington finally fixed the problem, without admitting there was one, when they redesigned the trigger in 2007. Newer rifles should have no problems. Remington but a bandaid on the problem when they redesigned the safety in 1982. If you have a post 1982 rifle it would be very hard to make it happen, even if you have a defective rifle.

Almost all of the AD's happen when the gun's safety is moved from "SAFE" to "FIRE" with a chambered round. The pre '82 rifles required you to move the safety to "FIRE" in order to unload them. Guns will sometimes fire at this time without pulling the trigger. Even clean, unmodified, well maintained rifles will do this. Remington claims all the AD's are from rifles that have had the trigger modified. I can assure it is possible with an unmodified rifle. Newer rifles can be unloaded with the safety in the "SAFE" position.

Back