Rem 700 or Win 70?

Strongarm6R

Inactive
I had a friend ask me which I thought was better. Rem 700 or Win 70?
And .308 vs. .30-06?
Which do you prefer and why?
His main goal is 500-1000 yd shooting
Don't worry I'm not trying to incite e- violence, just seeking different opinions and reasons why people have those opinions. Thanks

Definitely the Model 70. Either the pre 1964 or the post 1990(?) one. The 700's are the subject some miss fire issues as I have been told. Both the rounds you mentioned are great, but for that distance... maybe the .300 Win Mag.

Do the post 90 win70s have the extractor like the pre 64 ones? Cause that's pretty much what
I told him. He's very adamant about .308 or .30-06... Standardization is what he called it. Lol

They are both good guns. The modern Model 70 is control fed.

You're going to be doing some customization to either rifle if you want 1000yds.

My preference has always been for the Winchester. That probably started due to advertising as much as anything else. Since the late seventies I've used a couple different Model 70s as deer rifles. I have no complaints.

There is very little difference between the .308 and .30-06. If you're doing target shooting the .308 is probably a better choice.
The advantage with the .30-06 is heavier bullets. That's not as big a deal for targets.

I think you should consider 5.56mm/.223. It will cost a bit less and save your shoulder. 5.56 NATO will also put holes in paper at 1000yds just fine and dandy.

I vote the Model 70 Winchester. Remingtons are nice but their trigger can't hold a candle to the triggers on the new Model 70s.

You can flip a coin on the '06 vs 308 but for heavier bullets > 175 I go the '06

im a big 700 fan but there both good guns and the 70s made now are probably a bit higher in quality then the recent 700s. thing is though there more expensive.

I have both a Remington 700 in 308 and a Winchester 70 in 30-06. They both are great guns and each has its strong points. I would give the nod to the Remmys for accuracy. In fact the Windy is for sale or trade on gunbroker. The only complaint I have with it is the recoil. The featherweight kicks to hard for me at least now that I am older. It is the new FN model beautiful gun. That is the only complaint it shoots good just not as good as the Remmys.

Roc1

I think the current FN Winchesters are some of the best ever made, and the Winchester trigger is easily adjusted.
Not so much for the current 700's. I think Remingtons QC has really fallen off.
The 700 action is basically a tube, is easily copied, and accurized. That IMO is the sole reason for its popularity.

The 700!!! Their triggers are a lot better the the 70

Maybe in 1970. The older factory 70 triggers often needed to be adjusted, but were equal to anything if adjusted properly. Since FN took over production in 2008 the new Winchester's are simply the best production rifle's being made.

jmr40 said:
Maybe in 1970. The older factory 70 triggers often needed to be adjusted, but were equal to anything if adjusted properly. Since FN took over production in 2008 the new Winchester's are simply the best production rifle's being made.

Yes I also agree that the trigger on the new Win 70 is miles ahead of the 700 and that the 70 is a great gun but, the new Win 70 is not as nice and well finished and their triggers are not as good as a Sako 85. The Win 70 is probably the nicest factory production rifle made in the USA and the Sako 85 is the nicest factory production rifle made period.

Model 70

They are both good rifles but I like the 3 position wing safety over the 700s 2 position, I like the claw extractor vs the push feed, cosmetically I like the 70. As far as performance, the ones I have shot were both acceptable. If your wanting to shoot that long range stuff, The remington sendero might be the way to go though. But on that note the sendero model is around 1200 I think? If your going to spend that kind of money I wouldn't he either one of them but that's my opinion. Im not very convicted one is better than the other, they are both rifles to be proud of. You will be happy with either

I have two Remington model 700's, a BDL 223 Rem. and Classic 280 Rem. Both are very accurate. The 223 Rem. has been glass bedded and I adjusted the triggers on both of them. The 223 will shoot 1/2 to 5/8 inch groups at 100 yards if I'm up to it. The 280 will shoot around an inch. I use factory ammo.

I've never owned a Winchester model 70. I hear the new model 70's that FN is making in South Carolina are really good rifles, maybe some of the best model 70's ever made. I'd like to get a model 70 Featherweight or Featherweight Stainless.

Tell your friend to go hold as many model 700's and model 70's that he can and get the one that feels and fits him the best.

Good luck, NYH1!

My two cents: the safeties on 700's seem more intuitive than the 3-position safeties on the 70's. Both are great, accurate rifles though.

I Prefer the Winchester 70. I like the safety better. I have heard of Remington 700s firing when their safeties were disengaged. Also like controlled feed better than push feed. On ammo both are great, i think 30 06 would be better for larger game like Moose and ELK though. But for Deer either would work fine. Good luck choosing.

Guess you could say I have the best of both worlds.

I bought an older (push feed) Mode 70. Absolutely love it.

My rifle tells me that Winchester makes fantastic firearms - but there's nothing wrong with push feed bolts.

Back