Rem 700 MR LSS v. Ruger M77 Sporter

elpistolero

Inactive
I’m finally planning on moving from the varmit world to bigger game such as deer and elk. I want to purchase my rifle now so that I have plenty of time this summer to shot it and get comfortable.

I’ve narrowed down my choices to either the Ruger M77 MkII Sporter or the Remington 700 Mountain Rifle LSS in 30-06. While it looks like the Rem 700’s are a more popular rifle, I’m partial to Ruger. I still haven’t had the opportunity to shot (or even hold) any of the Ruger Sporter models.

I’m looking for opinions both general and specific. Thanks.

Welcome to TFL! Enjoy! :D

As for your question, of the choices offered, and in a hunting rifle, I'd go with the Ruger.

For target, and varmint, accuracy of the Ruger seems to lag a bit behind the Remington.
I don't think you'd notice the difference on a hunting model though.

Whatever your choice, good luck to you.

Much as I love Ruger Autos, I do not like their bolt actions. I find the quality control and accuracy is largely hit or miss ( yuk, yuk :p ) but you get more consitant results with the Remingtons.

By the way .30-06 is an awesome choice of caliber, it is one of the greatest there is.

You'll get a much better, fully adjustable trigger with the Remington, and you'll probably find that the bolt's a lot smoother, also.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm dropping the idea of getting the 700 mountain rifle and will get the 700 CDL. I plan to spend a lot of time at the range with it and think I'll be better off with the slightly thicker barrel.

You made the right choice, unless you plan to hike a long ways, then the Mountain Rifle gets the edge.

The CDL is a great rifle. I already have two 700s and don't need another, but that would be the rifle I'd choose if I were to buy one.

Hard to find fault in the .30-06 also, except if you were going to shoot a lot, since recoil is a bit much from the bench. I like my .270 with reduced 90 grain HP loads for target shooting, then use some very hot 130 grain Nosler BTs for deer. Funny thing is that they shoot to the same POI at 100 yards. Totally amazing.

Picher

Definitely the Remington was the good choice. In general Ruger just isn't as accurate imo.

No way to fault going with the 30-06.

But moving up from varmint calibers, you might be happier with a 7mm-8. This is a pretty efficient round, and will be more comfortable to shoot anyway. Is pretty popular around my parts with deer hunters. Don't know about elk, should be enough, but someone who knows could comment on that. But again, not wrong to go with 30-06.

Both Ruger and Rem are fine rifles. I think your choice of 30-06 is very wise.
Have you considered a Savage? I've been hearing lots of good things about them in terms of accuracy and the new accu trigger which can be adjusted to you liking.
I've looked at a few, and although not fancy, they are a lot of gun for the money.
At least take a look before you buy anything else.
At Dick's they go for $ 335.00 with a mounted 3x9 scope in a synthetic stock.
Wood stocks I think are about $20.00 or so more.

Back