Rem 700 MLR 338 Lapua

pwrstrkd

Just a quick overview of my new purchase, which im not thrilled about, although I have not shot it yet. The stock feels somewhat cheap and cardboard like. There is more space/room on one side between the stock and barrel, as if they improperly torked the action screws at the factory. The bolt is stiff to get in to the chamber. Is this normal on the rifles with this chambering? Its as if the lugs on the end of the bolt are binding slightly with the chamber. The sling studs are crooked and need to be adjusted. And the mag has some decent wobble to it. Nothing major wrong but a lot of little things I wouldnt expect from a $1800 rifle. Remington needs to step up their quality control big time. Once I shoot it, I will write up my full opinion but I am a little disapointed in the quality so far.

Just askin'...

Pwrstrkd--First thing that occurs to me is, with all those deficiencies, why'd you buy it in the first place, or accept delivery if you ordered it???

Sounds to me as if you've bought yourself an $1800 project gun.

(Personally, I'm not enamored of big honkin' magnums, but that is a whole nother question--If you have an application for a .338 mag then you have a reason to buy it.)

What were you planning to do with this rifle? That will have an effect on your subsequent moves. My first move, FWIW, would be to send it back where it came from with a letter of complaint, carefully noting all the deficiencies. For nearly $2k, you should have gotten a rifle ready to go, not a project.

Anyhow, good luck with this lemon, and please keep us posted on your progress.

ETA--I wouldn't shoot it--if you do, the seller might claim that by shooting it YOU screwed it up somehow. Weaslier things have been done.

Last edited:
The bolt isnt terrible, its just a little sitff/snug once the lug reaches the chamber. I dont have do really force it or anything. I may have ranted a little out of frustration and me not inspecting it completly, but I just had a little higher expectations or standards. Does anyone else have experiance with this rifle?

I have one. I took an antelope with it at 500 yards last year in Wyoming. Going to try to stretch it out a little this year. It is not perfect but it is a good shooter. The recoil is manageable, I reload for it to keep the ammo cost reasonable. I agree the stock could be improved, I may get a RACS (Remington Accessory Chasis System) for it. I have a Leupold Mk4 3.5-15X50 scope on it. Do you have optics on it yet?

Firstly that rifle isn't worth 1800$ IMO. For 1800$ you could have a good base custom rifle. MLR is just the police version .338 with some cheap DBM, sako extractor, on it marked up to 1800$. Get your money back and take a different approach is my suggestion.

I didnt notice these things in the store as i should have, but the barrel to stock space is more of an asthetic thing and wont affect anything, but it just bothers me that its off a little. What type of stock is this, it feels pretty light?

Back