Rem 700 BDL Stock Forend Round Tip Repair

Nebulous-1

Inactive
I took my Remington 700 BDL to a reputable stock guy to have a couple of scratches repaired on the black high-gloss forend round tip. He told me that it is made of plastic and that he could not repair it. I first thought that the Birchwood Casey Touch Up might be the ticket, but from what I read it is made for metal parts. Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

Guncrank, Not necessarily. If they are not deep, such as a scuff, I have seen them buffed out, as plastic can be brought back to a mirror finish. It takes someone who has worked with plastics to do it, but I've seen that done. If it is light scratches or scuffs, one might be able to do something with it using an extra-fine or micro-grit paper to bring back the luster, once they are removed. If they are deep, I doubt they could be blended in.

Birchwood Casey Touch Up pens are really just high priced magic markers. $10 +, each. Really made for Al.
I'd see the whole thing as an opportunity to change the stock altogether.
"...extra-fine or micro-grit paper..." Jeweller's rouge and a buffing wheel. Sand paper just makes scratches on plastics worse.

original finish is tough

It would be a nice time to put a pretty tip like rosewood or something exotic but the bowling pin finish on the wood is about impossible to do any thing with or at least that was my experience
bb

As a stock maker myself, I get a lot of similar questions. Yes, you can take the gouges out of the black plastic forend tip. No, it is not simple. No, it is not quick. Your stock guy probably just looked at it and said it's not worth the trouble. you could put an ebony forend tip on it with about the same amount of work and at about the same cost.

I did mine. It wasn't too hard, but perhaps it wasn't as professionally done as it should be.

Wool polishing tip with polishing compound on foredom tool. Going at low speed, or the heat may melt the plastic. Looked much better when done. It did take a while.

The gouge was an accident when hogging out materials for glass bedding. The the cutter bit climbed over and landed on the plastic tip.

-TL

Back