Rem.700 BDL free floating

javabum

I have a remington 700 BDL stainless w/24"barrell an composit stock.My question is,will it be possible to free float the barrell in its current configuration?
I wasent aware of free floating when i purchased it and if i can be done will it improve accuracy.As of now i can shoot 1" moa at 100 yrds most of the time.

Thanks,kevin

It's possible to float any rifle, I would think, is the barrel touching anywhere in the channel? If so remove it slowly and carefully!:)

Why Not ?

;) The beauty of floating is that if it doesn't help , or reduces accuracy you can put the pressure point back very easily . That being said , if floating doesn't help , my next step would be bedding . If bedding doesn't help I'd replace the pressure point and live with it ! Your rifle is shooting fine as is at MOA . Are you capable of shooting better than that . Don't ask your rifle to do things you can't do , 90% of the time the accuracy comes from the shooter , not the rifle !

Don't be surprised if free-floating reduces accuracy for your sporter barrel. Forend pressure usually reduces barrel whip, which leads to increased accuracy. Free-floating is great for reducing impact changes for rifles with wood stocks. Rifles with composite stocks are virtually immune to this problem, so generally shoot better with forend pressure.

Thanks gents...gives me something to think about.
Curious 338shooter....why do you call my barrel sporter?
I'm not offended just curious.

I would disagree also, depending on the type of synthetic stock. Expensive aftermarket stocks aside, most factory synthetics are rather flimsy, with lots of flex. If the barrel is contacting the stock, the rifle must be rested or held exactly the same for each shot, or the flex in the stock will allow varying pressure on the barrel, changing POI.

So,with having a synthetic stock,my rifle is prone to flex?
Will free floating or bedding it solve my flex issue?
And would i be better off converting to wood.One of the
reasons i choose synthetic was to reduce weight during a hunting
trip.

Remove the rifle from the stock and see how flexible it is.

I made the mistake of removing the pressure point from the front of my 700 BDL stock without doing this first, and the factory wood stock was too too flexible and would bend into the barrel pretty easily.

The bigger question is, how does it shoot? If it shoots well, leave it alone. Don't fix what ain't broken.

Pillar bedding, freefloating, and practice shooting.!! Of those three, practice shooting!!! handloading often formulates what a rifle likes best. Get yourself one of those Super stocks with the bedding block already in place. Then go practice.;)

Hello javabum:

"Sporter barrel" is a term generally used for medium weight barrels, as opposed to varmint weight, featherweight, target, etc.

Back