Rem 700 ADL, BDL, CDL

gaseousclay

can someone explain the differences in these models? I know the CDL is the classic deluxe, but what are the differences in quality/performance between these models?

Should be no performance difference between the CDL and BDL the only difference is the finish on both fire arms. The ADL only has an internal magazine, so no floor plate to drop the rounds out the bottom. The ADL stock isn't as good as the wood stocks on the CDL and BDL with more flex in it so it tends not to be as accurate out of the box as the other two.

I will tell you what I do know. The ADL is the lower end of the all the 700 models, it is usually black synthetic and has a "blind box magazine" no floor plate that can be opened or magazine that can be removed. Some people actually prefer this because they say you don't have to worry about dumping your ammo on accident while hunting or out in the field. I know they quit making it for awhile and it was replaced by the models called SPS and they have floor plates. I just recently learned they started making the ADL again for Dicks Sporting Goods not sure if you can get them every where. The BDL is the mid grade model and I am not sure what configurations it did or can be had in...............http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/bolt-action-model-700.aspx

Essentially, the only differences lie in the finish and accessories/stocks that come with them.

ADL is the lowest priced of the three with either a hardwood stock or synthetic stock (blind magazine, no floorplate) and a black oxide finish.

BDL is the classic (not a midgrade.) Nice, walnut stock in a classic profile and blue finish.

CDL is similar in quality to the BDL but in a more modern, slimmer walnut stock and same barrel/action finish. My personal opinion is that the CDL is the "prettiest" of the bunch.

...in a nutshell.

ADL is blind magazine. Over the years they have been made with a variety of stocks ranging from cheap plastic to very high quality walnut to very high quality synthetics. They have been made in polished blue, matte blue and stainless. While most of the more recent ADL's have come with cheaper stocks this has not always been the case. The blind magazine is the only feature that separates the ADL from BDL.

The BDL has a hinged floorplate. Once again the hinged floorplate is the only real difference between ADL and BDL. The BDL has been offered with stocks ranging from cheap plastic to high quality walnut as well as high end synthetics. While most BDL's did come with glossy finished walnut stock this is not always the case. Once again the only real difference is the floorplate vs blind magazine. Many versions of the 700 have been built on the BDL action including the 700 Classic and the Sendero. The Mountain rifle is essentially a BDL with a thinner barrel and a trimmed down stock.

The CDL is essentially a BDL, but with a trimmer more classic looking stock. While many like the BDL stock, it was an attempt at a modernistic looking stock that was designed to compete with the Weatherby Mark V during the 1960's. Most people today prefer the classic lines of the CDL and Remington planned on discontinuing the BDL. But enough people have expressed an interest in the style so Remington has re-introduced the BDL in limited numbers.

thanks for the info, everyone.

i'm guessing that if I were to come across any Remington 700 it will say what kind it is stamped on the barrel, right?

Back