Rem 700 .308 Coyote load....help

SonOfTed

Inactive
I just got a .308 ADL that was my wifes grandfathers for Christmas, and I would Love to do some yote hunting with it. I realize it is a little large for this but, it is what I have. I would like to save what I can of the pelt (not a super huge deal if I don't) so probably looking at a FMJ or something that is light and just disintegrates on impact. This will be my first go-round with hand loading rifle cartridges, so please spare no detail. Let me know powder brand, grains of powder, bullet weight, manuf. etc. Any and all comments/tips/tricks will be helpful and appreciated. Thanks a TON!!! Happy hunting to all!

I used to use a Speer 125 TNT over 49.5 grains of Win 748 back when I used a .308 for yotes. Now a days I pop them with a .223 or 243 .:)

Last edited:
Yeah, my dad has a .243 700, loaded up with 55 grain bullets, and it is pretty wicked. thanks for the input fellas!!

I have used Sierra 110 gr. HP for varmint loads and they are very effective but will probably be a little too destructive if you want to save the pelts. Check a loading manual or some of the online resources such as Hogdon for load data. Half the fun is developing a good load.

You're going to have trouble saving the pelt with light bullets. Heavier deer type bullets will at least leave you with just two reasonable holes, so that might be an option.
You might also try loading some .308 cal pistol bullets. You probably can't drive them at rifle speeds (Hornady told me no when I asked) but they might be great coyote bullets if you find the right combination.
Pistol bullets loaded over Trail Boss would be an interesting experiment.

That Sierra 110gr HP looks great for what you want. It may damage pelts or it may not. I would think that you could work up a somewhat light load that would do great out to 300 yards and not exit the body cavity at ranges past 100 yards.

Do the game laws and regulations in your area allow FMJ for hunting? I suggest checking the pertaining laws and regs first.

Hornady VMax is available in 308 at 110gr. Those usually disintegrate on impact. My 223 with VMax usually does not have an exit wound on coyotes, they drop on the spot. Makes a sound like dropping a punkin on the sidewalk. Make prairie dogs explode. Cute as they are it makes me giggle like a girl. Ok I'm twisted.:D

Sorry to say short of the FMJ's that go straight through you wont get a soft point, hollow point ect that wont blow big holes in pelts when using a 308, even using a 243 with 55/58 grain varmint bullets I get about 50/50 ruined pelts (on dingos and wild dogs) depending on what distance I shoot them at. I don't shoot for skins so it really doesn't worry me. You may want to practice head shots if you want to use your 308 on Coyotes and keep the skins or use FMJ's (but they may give you larger exit holes then you want as well).

Last edited:
I wouldn't use any type of fmj if you intend to find the yote after shooting it.
I've killed quite a few coyotes using 165 grain BTSP which didn't damage the hide too bad at longer ranges. Right now, my long range high wind use is covered by handloads using Nosler 155 grain match HP bullets.

Back