Rem. 550-1

gonbugin

Inactive
Hello all,
New to the forum and look forward to a lot of reading. I have just been given a Rem. 550-1 from my mom. I thank it came from my dad's side ( he's dead and mom doesn't remember). I do remember shooting it when I was a kid.

I sent the patent # to Remington hoping to find out how old it is.

Anyway, does anyone know how to take this thing apart and cleen it and how does it compare to todays .22's? Also it has a ejection deflector on it. I like it being left handed, however it is as old as the gun, so I know it was not put on for me. Did these rifles come deflectors or is there a left handed relative I don't know about? :)

Thanks

Part 1

I had one as a kid they came with the deflector on them. First to take it apart make sure the tubular magazine and chamber are empty then back off the screw holding the stock on and remove the stock. On the very rear of the reciever is a cone shaped nut with a screwdriver slot in the rear, back it off there is a dimpled holding plate to keep it on by friction after 1 turn it should ease up. remove the nut, careful it is under spring tension.. the nut & spring should come out. pull the bolt handel back to the wide spot in the bolt handle channel then pull the bolt handle out of the bolt now the bolt should come out the rear of the recieve. If you need more let me know.

I don't think that model had serial numbers I got mine in 1952 for graduating 6th grade

My Grandfather had one that now belongs to my brother .Accurate gun. Yes it came w/a brass deflector. Remove the stock, just one or 2 screws on the bottom of the stock. Remove the brass magazine tube. You should be able to pull the bolt charging pin out of the bolt. Then unscrew the firing pin mechanism from the rear of the action, it's obvious it has a flathead screwdriver slot and is sometimes knurled. After you remove that the bolt should slide out of the back. Clean everything with solvent, oil and reassemble. I think I remember that right.

Thanks guys,

I shot it about twenty times today and it felt the same as I remembered it. Hasen't been fired in at least 20 years; didn't jam or anything. Next is break it dowm and clean in.

Bud thanks for the illustrated part breakdown

there are letters on the left hand side of the barrel near the reciever, these are remingtons year codes, go to remington serial numbers on google and go to rimfires or the model 550. good luck. eastbank.

Back