Rem 513 Matchmaster

I'm working on a former US Mil. Matchmaster that was used for target training. It needs a new magazine lock/latch. How do I tell if it takes an early or late magazine lock/latch?

ETA: Noticed at the NumNutz site that the early model takes a wood screw and the later model takes two machine screws. I'll have a look at the stock and receiver to figure it out.

Jim K at THR told me the early versions were two machine screws and the later versions used one wood screw.

After bluing the parts, I managed to reassemble the 513. It was challenge to do with vague instructions and the lack of a good parts drawing

Did you ever consider going to rim fire central forum. Tons and tons of information there. Sorry I did not see the post earlier, as I own a Remington 513T with redfield sights. A great shooter.

Thanks for the suggestion. The one in question also has a very nice Redfield rear aperture sight.

Never considered it since I'm not into target 22s. The only reason why I'm working on it is it belongs to a colleague for whom I am returning a favor by re-bluing it for him. There was no time to do a high gloss polish so it was bead-blasted instead.

It took some time to figure it out and what was installed improperly before it went together right. A simple drawing (NumNuts is about the best but some parts aren't clear in the drawing or aren't on the drawing) would have been priceless.

ETA: To distinguish between an early and a late model 513, look at the receiver insert (part 595 in the factory diagram). An early model receiver insert will have two machine screw holes in the bottom. The late model 513 has a hole in the wood stock for a wood screw to hold the magazine release.

Just for info, that receiver (like the others in the series) is made in an interesting way. It is a flat piece of steel, punched out then hot formed by wrapping around a mandrel and shaped in a press. It is a good and economical way of making the receiver.

The 513T was the "second string" of the Remington target lineup. The bottom was the 521T, next up was the 513T, and at the top was the superb Model 37, which was later replaced by the 40X. The lower end rifles, 510, 511 and 512 could also be ordered with target peep sights. The Winchester 52 got a lot of well-deserved publicity, but the Model 37 was just as accurate, though many shooters thought the Winchester had the better trigger. The 513T was the rifle of choice for many service teams, high school and college teams, and individuals who just wanted good accuracy at a reasonable cost.

All gone, now of course, along with target shooting in general. What we have is folks blowing out bullets from AR's and thinking a two foot group at 50 feet is darned good. I believe we are missing a lot in more ways than one.

Jim

Several gun companies got into using steel flat, then rolling or pressing/forming, and welding. The 24 and 37 Winchester shotguns frames were made that way. There were two designs for the 37 frame, where one had a top stamped section, with flange, welded on at the water table on each side, and another that folded completely over, with a welded seam at the top, with a tang added at the back. Both designs had round breech blocks brazed into slots that were pre-machined into the flat, after they bent it up. The steel-built idea was a good one, for an economy gun.

However, I have ran into two 37s, that had porosity in the welds, which was uncovered during polishing, that had to be ground out, then rewelded, to save the frame. One had porosity the full length of both welds, on each side. Those were most likely stick or gas welded, I would assume, as MIG didn't come out until around 1950. They may have been later guns, though, as the last were made in 1963, and some were made at Cooey, if I recall. Since there are no serial numbers, it is up for guess as to what caused it when. The only way to guess, would be by the era they were made, using the two patents as a guide. Neither were red letter, nor had the pig tail lever.

The Winchester 37 was (IMHO) a pretty poor excuse for a shotgun, especially one made by a big name company.

Jim

Back