Rem 1100 HD upgrades, opinions please.

rezman

I recently acquired a Model 1100 with a 2 3/4" chambered 20" barrel. I'm looking to turn this into my HD shotgun. I'll add a mag extension tube for sure, but need opionions on any other useful upgrades. Can anything be done with the bolt release button to make it possible to do one handed tactical reloads? This is difficult to do with one hand now. Also, are pistol grip full length stocks an advantage or a drawback in a defensive scenario? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scattergun Tech "Entry Model"

That's what I did to my Remington 1100. You didn't say, but is your barrel a rifle sighted barrel? If so, as I found out the hard way, it won't cycle low recoil rounds like skeet and trap barrels will. Also there is a mod to make loading easier, but it comes at a cost of reliability, according to Scattergun/Wilson Combat. A little practice and one hand reloading is pretty simple.

Must haves in my book:
SideSaddle
Tac Light
Synthetic Stock (I like Speed Feed)
Ghost Ring sights with tritium inserts

Nice to haves:
Vang Comp choke (I don't like ported barrels of any kind)
Tactical Sling
Buttstock with pistol grip, comes at a price of reduced capacity.

My 2 cents.

My must haves on this excellent piece are a bit different.

A good trigger.

A stock that fits.

A light that works all the time and costs less than the shotgun it's on.Hard to find....

That's it.A trained,cool hand with an 1100 thus equipped is very well armed.

Optional stuff would include that extension, hi viz sights, etc.I'd probably get the extension and maybe a Side Saddle.

I see little advantage to a full stock with PG, but little drawback either. If you like one, go for it.I'd save the money, myself, and spend it on ammo.

I'm no auto expert in AS scenarios, but a loading drill for the 1100 might run something like....

When firing and wanting to reload,keep the weapon mounted using just the firing hand. I know it's heavy, do it anyway. Or, tuck the last inch or so of butt under your shoulder into the pit.

Grasp the shell so that the thumb is at the brass end and the fingers cradle the length. Raise the shell to the loading port and hit the button with a finger tip as you use the thumb to shove the shell ALL THE WAY into the magazine.

Like any other worthwhile method, practice is essential.

Thanks for the info guys.

dport, mine has the standard imp cylinder choke barrel. So far its been reliable with everything from skeet loads to federal buck.

Dave, thanks for the tactical reload tip, I'll try it out this weekend.

I guess I'll get the extension tube, leave the stock for now and shop for a tactical light set up.

Back