reloading Winchester "AA" hulls with blackpowder

jroth

CAn anyone recommend books/websites that give information on reloading Winchester "AA" hulls?

I want to use 82 grains FFG, two T/C Wonder wads over the powder, load of shot and crimp.

Hopefully to be used in Win.97 and Grandad's Remington 1894 doublebarrel.
Thanks.

Keep in mind that if you shoot those BP shells in that '97, you're going to have to tear it down to clean it properly (and there's lots of places rust can hide in a '97).

My buddy who reloads BP shotgun in AA hulls uses a Winchester Red shotgun wad instead of cardboard or felt. He gets plastic fouling, but it's easy to clean up.

I have loaded BP and Pyrodex in AA hulls with the red AA wad and with traditional stacks of card and felt wads that one of the guys had on hand. There is no particular trick to it, just dump in the powder, feed in the wad(s), RAM THEM DOWN, BLACK POWDER SHOULD BE COMPRESSED AND MUST HAVE NO AIRSPACE, measure in the shot, and crimp.

I can't say that two Wonder Wads will be the right height. You must fill up the hull and get a compressed charge and a good firm crimp. It might take three Wonder Wads. You might need some card or felt wads of a different thickness to make it come out right. It took me a good deal of trial and error to get the wad column right. But the red AA wads work fine, right out of the bag.

You might also try the SASS website. They have shooters that shoot BP exclusively. They probably have already encountered, and solved, the problems you may have.

I've loaded plenty of BP shells in 10, 12 guage. I never have used a star crimp though, roll crimps seem to work better and they look better besides.

You might try the HODGDON POWDER COMPANY the makers of pyrodex or M.D.SMITHS RELOADING PAGES for loads or links for reloading B.P. in shotshells.

Back