Reloading Used 209 Shotgun Primers

I doubt you could buy the tools and supplies these days.
I had an old Handloader's Digest from the 1960s that covered it.
You had to decap the battery cup, realign the anivil, and seat a new cap.
The cap looks like a regular large primer but has no anvil of its own.

There is a formula in the old military improvised munitions handbook to reload a primer, by making new compound, using strike anywhere matches.
You take the primer apart, and with a punch push the firing pin dent back out, re load the cup and reassemble. It covers doing this on rifle and pistol primers, but i see no reason it wouldnt work on shotgun primers.
As far as putting a regular primer cup in, they arent shaped the same, has anyone measured them to verify they fit? Shotgun primers are notably more powerful, i doubt they are the same.
Anyway, the match thing does work, but uses a lot of matches.

I've seen shotgun primer "caps" that you can reload spent shotgun primers. It is a somewhat tedious process since you have to drive out the old cap, replace the cap and replace the anvil just right to get reliable ignition. I think it is one of those things that you do when you have plenty of time on your hands to waste. I have a few shotgun caps and probably will eventually throw them out since I can't be sure how reliable they will be once I reload them.

Yep I use spent primers for shot. It works slick for tree trimming loads when you want keyholeing shot that will not travel far

Reload the primers?
Reload with the primers?
See, language counts.
So, knowing how to reload the primers, make black powder and cast ball and bullets.
All ready for the end of civilization as we know it.

Back