Reloading tips for Rem 1858

Nathan

I have a Rem 1858 which shot a bit and put away. I want to get out again.

The black powder in have is probably 8-10 years old stored in original cans. Can I use it? It is Goex 3F?

I used to load a 10 or 11 cap, 25 gr of 3F, .452" balls and get good 25 yd groups.

What does your 1858 like?

Anybody try bullets?

Black powder doesn't go bad as long as it stays dry. Shoot it up. If it's a brass frame then 25 gr black powder may be a little bit heavy. If a steel frame, you can go higher. There's been a few threads recently about shooting bullets/conicals.

bullets / powder

Depending on your revolver you may or may not be able to load conicals on the gun.
Some the loading area is too small to let the conicals set in place to start them.
Some people use a dremel on the loading area and enlarge it.
Some load the cylinder off the gun.
Again it will also be determined if yours is a brass frame or steel.
As above. Brass frame 25 gr is plenty and probably wouldn't make sense to use conicals.
Steel frame 30 to 35 gr and then yeah I'd say try some conicals.
I home cast and sell two different conicals for our BP revolvers.
I have an ad in the BP for sale area here.
Most people are content shooting either RB or conical.
I went to conical about 20 years ago.
IMO they shoot just as well are just as accurate and in day to day use penetrate just as well.

I have 4 '58's and and 2 '51's, went out shooting yesterday, 30 grains with a .454 ball and all group well if I do my part. Try the powder with just a wad to see if it will "burn" before you load the ball. But if the powder has been kept where there is low humidity it will probably be okay. Fine some new powder if you want to continue shooting it in earnest.

It's Goex....so it should be fine.

I have some 2F which I will never use...1/2 lb or less. How would you dispose of it? Sprinkle in the yard, or is there a safer way.

I have some 2F which I will never use...1/2 lb or less. How would you dispose of it? Sprinkle in the yard, or is there a safer way.

Use it, you won't notice much if any difference from the 3F.

LEE makes a nice double cavity mold for a 200gr roundnose bullet that loads fine in Remingtons. Over 30grs of 3F it makes a nice "thumper".

My loads for my only cap and ball revolver, a mid nineties Pietta, is the same as yours, with the same results.
Why mess with success.
The Pyrodex used is ff, left over from a target rifle, and about 20 years old.
It's still good.
Mostly I use 777, due to the cleanliness and lack of stink, though.

I began with the Pyrodex, moved on to Triple 7, and now that Goex makes Olde Eynsford sporting grade powder that gives similar performance as T7 or Swiss, but with a price more like standard Goex ($1/lb more), I'm shooting it more often.

Olde E certainly leaves some fouling, but it's nothing like Pyrodex, which is sticky. Not as clean as T7, but it hasn't been an issue. We'll see how my new 1858 likes it though. I read they gum up rather quickly.

If you ever wanted to dispose of gunpowder for some reason, sprinkle it in your flowerbeds. The nitrates make fine fertilizer.

Steve

Somewhere I remember reading that the old timers spiced up their buffalo meat with gun powder.
That could have gotten real exciting when they lit up their stogies and pipes after dinner.

Back