Reloading Equipment In Your Bedroom. Is That Dangerous/Unhealthy?

adn258

So I want to get into reloading. I have a ton of space in my bedroom, but well, it's my bedroom. I've been told that reloading releases lead and other toxic substances that you can't want to be around like when you're sleeping. Is this true or could I safe use a reloading press in my room?

I've been told that reloading releases lead and other toxic substances that you can't want to be around like when you're sleeping. Is this true

Yes it is true , however not everything in reloading is that way . You really need to be careful of all the carbon fouling and spent primer residue on your dirty cases , that's where most of the hazards lie . If you wet tumble ( clean your brass ) before you deprime . You'll wash a great deal of that away down the drain or into the yard . This will reduce your exposure a lot IMHO . I went to wet tumbling when the grandkids started living with me . My son and then girlfriend ( now wife ) moved from LA to SD and stayed with me for awhile and I went to wet tumbling to cut down on contaminates I could track through the house .

It seemed to work out great . My hands were no longer black after case prep and there was a noticeable difference in how quickly my reloading area and press DID NOT get dirty . I still dry tumble but that's only to get the sizing lube off my already wet tumbled brass .

I think with a diligent process , never clean or even separate dirty brass in the room , wear cloves while doing so you could avoid quite a bit of these issues while doing the rest of the reloading in your bedroom .

I have the large one of these and like it a lot

small
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...nO-NwsmpggfU40OjqrMlQaBBbA2fAYpRoCMW4QAvD_BwE

Large
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...KVarfDLODVBFyQlSSdGLt2SEf7VLNtehoCHV8QAvD_BwE

Last edited:
What's wrong with the garage?

I wouldn't want my press and all my reloading gear in my bedroom. That and the wife would probably kick me and all my gear out!

And as someone else mentioned to you, you don't need to be breathing in those chemicals all the time.

I wouldn't want my press and all my reloading gear in my bedroom. That and the wife would probably kick me and all my gear out!

LMAO , yeah It's clear there's no wife involved or this thread would never had been started lol . :D

Personally, I wouldn't care if I was single and all I had was one room. I would suggest you tumble your brass outside because the media gets dusty and is dirty. De-priming will leave a little soot but I've meet two guys who had their reloading setup in their house but in a different room.

I keep all dirty activities (case cleaning, bullet casting, depriming) in the garage. All other activities are done in the house. No problems.

LMAO , yeah It's clear there's no wife involved or this thread would never had been started lol .

no kidding

I have a dedicated "gun" room now in the house for storage/reloading etc. I keep a dedicated shop vac in there and the rules set down by the boss state it will be kept neat and tidy at all times. I still do the wet tumbling in the garage because of the noise factor and possibility of water leakage. I tried doing it in the laundry room but it was way too noisy

Still my opinion is keep it clean and do it where ever you need to

No one but you would if the wife gets mad at you. Get a dog. He'll keep you company.
Brings to mind an old joke that everyone knows, so I won't repeat it, except to say I sure miss that dog. ;)

I understand the hazard of Lead (Lead styphnate ?) to humans, but how is Carbon a problem?

There is probably lead styphnate in the carbon fouling. This is evidenced by the dramatic decrease in carbon fouling when using lead-free primers.

My ManCave is adjacent to my Work / Reloading Room . The smell of cleaning solvents & oils whaifs in . ( not too problematic) In Winter cleaning gets done wherever there is more room.
Not always in the garage. Reloading components are always near to the workbench and presses.

I keep all dirty activities (case cleaning, bullet casting, depriming) in the garage. All other activities are done in the house. No problems.

No garage, but a metal storage building converted to a small shop where the tumbler resides. Depriming and reloading - both shotshell and metallic takes place in the house in a old dressing area off the bedroom

I'll add that I would suggest a possible bench as one where you horizontally nail a 2x4 into the wall studs for secure back and the front legs of the bench run from the floor to the ceiling rafters

No need for that if you use an Inline Fabrication press riser as the press now sits on top of the bench and there is zero torque on the edge.

No need for that if you use an Inline Fabrication press riser as the press now sits on top of the bench and there is zero torque on the edge.
I'll second that. I think I waited way to long to get one of these and now I don't know how I ever got along without it...

Tony

Question for you guys because I'm new to reloading and I appreciate the help. I have a large room but a small 1 car garage is my problem. I know this sounds ridiculous, but I want to install a folding bench in my tiny garage that way I can park the car and fold the bench down when I'm working.

Ok, if I get a reloading press, and I'm leaning towards The Lee Classic Turret Press, If I drill the press on the bench, can I easily unmount it and mount it when necessary to the garage bench, or does unmounting the press cause issues with the press somehow? How hard is it to mount/unmount to a bench once the holes are drilled in?

Otherwise that's problem solved for me!

Back